This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Do you ever get so anxious and you think nothing helps? Here are a few remedies that I personally use to help me in those anxious moments!

• First may be a sort of well known method, called the 3-3-3 rule. It’s a method that’s easy to remember, so let me tell you how to do it. You name 3 things you see, 3 things you can hear, and move 3 body parts. This distracts your brain because you’re directing your attention to something else rather than your thoughts and anxiety.
  • Breathing! When trying to help someone calm down, I always say “take some deep breaths”. I breathe in until my stomach pokes out, hold it for about 5 seconds, and then breathe out as much air as I can. There are also plenty of videos and apps that can help you with guided breathing!
  • Dance it out! For all you Grey’s Anatomy watchers reading, have your Meredith and Christina moment! Whether you’re blasting music from a speaker or through your headphones, dancing it out really can help. You’re focusing on the music as well as moving; if you dance to the beat of the music, it could help more.
  • Lastly, take a cold shower or a cold bath. This could be seen as a little extreme, but it does help. It distracts your mind because all you can think about is how cold you are. Definitely get all warm and cozy after though!

There are so many different remedies to try when it comes to calming your anxiety, these are just a few of my favorites. As Alli Bellairs says “I’m glad you’re here”!

Jordan McDonald is the social media chair at the Her Campus at the IUP chapter. She oversees the social media team and makes sure the team reaches the requirements for the media. Beyond Her Campus, Jordan has done an externship at French Lick Resort for her degree in Baking and Pastry Arts. She is also a member of Eta Sigma Delta, which is a honor society for business students. She is junior at IUP studying Hospitality Management. On top of school and clubs she is in, she works part time. In her free time, Jordan enjoys going to concerts and spending time with her loved ones and her two cats, Pumpkin and Boots. She is a Gilmore Girls fanatic and is a big follower of Harry Styles and Taylor Swift. Jordan encourages everyone to treat others with kindness because you never know what someone is going through.