Wellness > Mental Health

Improving Your Mental Health During a Transition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Often times when we are in any kind of transition, whether it be starting a new job, beginning another semester of college, accepting an internship, or anything that is new to us, we tend to feel anxious or overwhelmed. In college, whether you’re just starting out, you’re soon to be graduating, or you’re somewhere in the middle, there are transitions and changes that you’ll experience where you’ll feel a range of new emotions which can be scary at first. It’s not uncommon to feel anxious, overwhelmed, insecure, or just clueless about what you’re doing with your life. I think so many of us put an enormous amount of pressure on ourselves over what we think we’re supposed to be doing, rather than just striving toward what we want each day, accepting what obstacles are thrown at us make and taking life day by day. It is so important that we recognize when we’re being too critical of ourselves in times of transition, because not only does it make you feel bad, it often does nothing to help us, and more times that not, it hurts us instead. I’ve created a list of tips that can hopefully help you de-stress, get more organized, or simply make life easier for you if you’re feeling overwhelmed.

1. Take it day-by-day.

(Photo by Rawpixel)

Stop telling yourself you need to have your entire life figured out. Yes, it’s important to have goals and plans, but there’s nothing wrong with not having every step of the way planned out. You’re not supposed to have every detail of your future figured out, so don’t fret over the small stuff and focus on the now.

2. If you’re starting a new job, internship, class, remind yourself it’s OK that you’re not an expert right away.

(Photo by Fabian Møller)

It takes time to learn something new, so be patient with yourself and don’t beat yourself up if you don’t understand everything right away. Of course, you should try your hardest and stay focused in whatever you’re doing but remind yourself that things take time. The best thing you can do is ask for guidance if you’re struggling with a new job or class, be persistent, but always remind yourself to not take life too seriously.

3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help!

(Photo by Rawpixel)

If you’ve just started a new job or are having difficulty in a class, the worst thing you an do is let yourself struggle and suffer in silence. It may sound like common sense, but many of us tend to sit back and wait until we’re too far behind to make the situation better. Ask your professor or someone in class for help or get a tutor. If you still are struggling, go talk to an advisor or mentor and tell them your situation and ask what you can do to improve. If it’s a new job, ask your supervisor or a co-worker for guidance and simply tell them you’re having a hard time. There is no shame in asking for some guidance, because everyone needs it at some time or another, and no one should be expected to be an expert at anything right away.

4. Congratulate yourself on your accomplishments.

(Photo by Jayson Hinrichsen)

They can be as little as applying for a job, eating healthier, exercising more, improving your grades, etc. Any goal, no matter how small, is an accomplishment. Set tiny goals and reward yourself when you reach them. It will make you happier and it will boost your confidence and self-esteem.

Transitions are a difficult time. You may feel excitement oen day and fear the next. No matter what you are feeling, you must remember that transitions are the only way to truly grow and reach your full potential. No matter what the transition, make sure to take care of yourself.

"I would rather die of passion than of boredom." -Van Gogh