This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Face it: college isn’t always easy and going back to school after a break can be even harder if you’ve been away from the books for too long. Here are some tips to seamlessly transition back so that you can be the best student that you can be this upcoming semester: 

1. Read the syllabus. 

Even though the first day of every class is dedicated to going over the syllabus, it’s still important to pay close attention so that you know what you’re getting into. What sort of expectations does the professor have for the class? What sort of material will you be covering? Is this class going to be too hard, or too easy?

2. Don’t overburden yourself. 

Sure, scheduling an extra class (or two) may seem like a good idea at first, but if you’re taking more than the standard 12-15 credits, you may want to reconsider. Having a jam-packed schedule can be very overwhelming, so try to be realistic. For example, if the average recommended amount of study time per hour of class is equivalent to three hours and you’re taking four hour-long classes, that’s twelve hours of studying for every subject.

3. Know how to manage your stress. 

College can be very stressful, so maintaining your level of stress can be crucial to avoid burning out in the middle of the semester. A good way to stay as stress-free as possible is to come up with a way to cope before you get too overwhelmed, whether you’re burning off energy in the gym or venting to a friend.

4. Have a support system. 

Everyone needs help sometimes and knowing who to turn to in times of crisis is going to help you to feel a lot less alone. There are always resources and mental health services available on campus. If you don’t know, don’t be afraid to ask!

5. Take care of yourself. 

At the end of the day, you should always be your own number one priority. Listen to yourself and your body. Make sure that you’re getting plenty of sleep (not pulling too many all-night study sessions!), eating right, and staying as healthy and happy as possible.

Michaela Shaw was the vice president and senior editor of the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from 2020-2022. During her time as an undergraduate student, Michaela was also a member of Active Minds, Alpha Kappa Delta, the National Society for Leadership and Success, Sociology Club, and Psi Chi. She also volunteered with Hopeful Hearts, a grief support group for children and families. After completing an internship at Allegheny County Children, Youth and Families, she graduated in August with a dual baccalaureate in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Child and Adult Advocacy Studies. She likes video games, reading, rainy days, vinyl records, Thai food, and spending time with her cat, Ron.