This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Coming back from university, where I didn’t have a car to then returning home for winter break, I was able to drive again for the first time in months. This made me remember my struggles and what I do to ease my driving. Although I often feel a little nervous behind the wheel, these are some tips that I use before and while driving. I know I cannot be the only one who feels this, so I hope these help at least one other person reading!

Disclaimer: If you feel severe anxiety behind the wheel, it probably is not safe for you to drive at all.

Clean Your Car

Before even thinking of driving, you should have a clean car. Upon first entering my car, I will place my belongings in a safe place where they will not move during the drive. Having a clutter-free car puts my mind at ease, as it is one less thing to worry about, so make sure the inside of your car is clean and clear!

Checking the Mirrors and Getting Comfortable in Your Seat

This is important for every driver, but is extra important for someone with anxiety to check everything before the car is in motion. Making sure you can see from each mirror and are comfortable while driving typically calls for a smoother ride.

Breathing Exercises

Before driving and if feeling uneasy during a drive, breathing exercises can aid this feeling and calm you. One breathing exercise is called “Box Breathing” where you breathe in for four seconds, hold for four seconds, and exhale for four seconds.

Look Over Routes on Google Maps

Luckily, we live in the age of smart technology! Mapping apps are a good resource for directions and some even allow you to view the roads on your phone. If going to an appointment or traveling to an unknown place, I will look up the directions and study where I am going. Being able to view the roads is wonderful because you are aware of all the turns you have to make, so when you get there you should not feel nervous. Sometimes, if an appointment is at a reasonable distance away, I will drive there beforehand so I know where I am going and can be there on time.

Listening to A Calm Playlist or Podcast

A big part of feeling comfortable behind the wheel is having a calm mood, and what better way to feel calm than listening to some tunes. Listen to a calming playlist, but not music or audio that will make you sleepy!

Cyprus Morgue is a sincere, dreamy student at IUP who writes articles on whatever they feel drawn to at the time.