Benefits of Taking a Writing Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

The Benefits of Taking a Writing Class in College 

Being an English Writing Major requires me to take writing classes, and a good amount too. Most of the writing that is done in college classes is either essays or research papers. This doesn’t leave any room for creativity, which should be a part of the college experience. Here are some benefits of taking a writing course in college no matter what major you are studying. 

1).  It will let you appreciate your favorite books and authors. 

Writing is hard, and those books in Barnes and Noble take years to prefect. Especially with stories such as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, that are written with such complexity. A writing class will give you a look into how much of a puzzle books are. 

2).  It will let you learn more about yourself and express yourself. 

The purpose of writing is for you to look into your experiences and the way you understand certain events. Everyone goes through life differently, so your writing on relationships, friends, school, and childhood will reflect unique emotions. Writing will let you understand those emotions and your quirks that make up you. 

3).   It will Boost your Confidence. 

When you bring your professor and classmates to tears because of your story, it will bring a smile to your face. Reading other people’s stories will also lift you up, because you are learning about them in a different way. 

4).  It Releases Tension 

Bad days come and go. Writing can help your mood when you are down by reminding you of a good time. Writing poems about things that upset you also help you deal with the emotions in a healthy way. 

Happy Writing!

Hi, I am Katherine. I am a student at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I am a member of the IUP English Equestrian team, Sigma Tau Delta, and a Writer for IUP's HER Campus. I love to read, (books of all genres) write, knit, and travel (I visited England this summer). I am also a British Royal Family Fan. My top music favorites are Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Grace Potter, and Fleetwood Mac. My guilty pleasure is late night HPTV. Please check out my personal blogs-http://hiddeninthemargins.blogspot.com/ and http://wanderlustbound14.blogspot.com/