The Answer to Getting That Perfect Spring Break Bod

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Though it’s only January, students everywhere are gearing up for the infamous college Spring Break trip. And while that’s all great and exciting, these next few months are oftentimes focused around counting calories, healthy eating, and exercise. The pressure put on female college students to get a “perfect spring break bod” is overwhelming and can take a serious physical and mental toll on your body after a few weeks.

This toll comes when we push our bodies way beyond the normal limit– excess running, lifting, and crunching, and unfortunately we figure this out after the fact, when our legs feel like Jello and are too sore to move. What most collegiates fail to understand is that getting in shape shouldn’t be about how hard you sweat or a number on the scale, it should be about being a better version of you. So here are a few tips that will motivate you to change the way you feel about exercise. Because there’s more to a workout than looking great in a bikini.

Find an exercise routine you actually enjoy

It’s important to find a fitness routine that compliments what you like. A boring workout can definitely hinder exercise motivation. There are a million different ways to exercise– cardio is not the be-all-end-all. I mean, if you hate running then why would you force yourself on the treadmill? Find something you truly enjoy– whether that’s dancing, spinning, Pilates, yoga, whatever. You’ll find yourself more motivated to exercise when you actually get a kick out of what you’re doing. It’s all about doing what makes you happy.

Set SMART fitness goals

Wanting to lose twenty pounds in two weeks is a pretty unrealistic mission. That’s why it’s important to set Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely (SMART) fitness goals that’ll keep you on track. These short-term goals should be attainable like increasing the incline on the elliptical or adding five more squats to your set. It’s an easy way to get excited about what you’ve accomplished.  

Don’t be too hard on yourself

Some days I’m full of energy, some days I’m not, and it’s on those certain tired days of the week that I find myself slacking at the gym. However, remember that every workout, no matter how long or short, is better than no workout at all. It’s okay to take it easy every now and again. Take a quick, 20-minute walk on the treadmill. It’s not the end of the world.

Plan your workout ahead of time

The hardest part about working out is physically getting yourself to the gym. That’s why staying organized can be a great motivator in getting you to exercise. If you plan out a schedule ahead of time, you’ll be much more motivated to go. Try going straight from class that way it becomes part of your regular routine.

Elle Woods taught us that working out releases endorphins, and endorphins make you happy. Preparing for Spring Break is challening, yes, but a simple change of heart can make all the difference. With the right attitude, exercise can turn into something positive and maybe even something to look forward to. Physical activity is proven to impact your day for the better– you’ll feel refreshed, energized, and productive. So lose the excuses, lace up your sneakers, and get motivated, bathing suit season is upon us. Your Spring Break bod isn’t going to sculpt itself!

Title Image Credit*