sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 6 Worst Adulting Moments of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

1. When you stare at your hamper all week and you realize YOU have to go to the laundry room and do your own laundry.

Not gonna lie, I let my laundry sit for the first two weeks and then I realized “oh, yeah, Mom doesn’t come and get your laundry here.”

2. When you sit in the laundry room reading the instructions your mom left you for how to do laundry.

I probably spent a good twenty minutes trying to figure out what laundry went where and at what temperature.       

3. When you oversleep.     

In high school, I always set my own alarm, but those couple times I overslept, my amazing mom would make sure I was up. If you oversleep in college, no one comes knocking on your door.

4. When you get sick for the first time.

Let’s be honest, everyone loves to be taken care of when they’re sick. Having no one to bring you soup and fluids sucks! Everyone misses their mom the most when they’re sick.

5. When you have to go to the doctor alone for the first time.

When you try to stick it out but that cough keeps getting worse, it’s time to take a visit to the health center. For me this was pretty scary at first, I had never been to a doctor alone before. Luckily for me, the doctors were all super nice and helpful.  

6. When no one tells you what to eat.

In college, they literally serve pizza and pasta at every meal. It’s a little kid’s dream. It’s important to remember to substitute those cookies and ice cream for an apple or a salad. No matter how tempting that ice cream bar is, go for the banana. Save the ice cream for a once in a while treat.

No one holds your hand in college. This new experience comes with freedom and also responsibility. Whether it’s laundry or dining hall choices, it’s all up to us. This can all be scary at first, but with time we all learn to “adult.”

I'm Julia I'm from Westchester New York and I'm a freshman psychology major at Ithaca College!
Gillian was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Ithaca from September 2018 to May 2019. She was a journalism major and anthropology minor at Ithaca College and graduated in May 2019. Gillian enjoys reading, writing, Harry Potter, the Sims and grilled cheese.