Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

Where To Workout On Campus Besides the ARC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Although UIUC’s campus offers some great workout facilities, they do have their drawbacks. We’ve all dreaded the ARC weight lifting room, which is usually full of skilled lifters and the aroma of protein powder. Or we’ve experienced that awkward moment at the swipe-in entrance when you forget your iCard. Not to mention how packed these gyms get or the stares given when you want to work out in your worn-out big t-shirt. Well, luckily for you I’ve put together a list of alternative workout spots on campus where you can dress as comfortable as you want and listen to whatever music you want all while getting a productive workout in.  

1. Your Dorm

Keep a yoga mat in your room, invest in a set of weights or research some bodyweight exercises that are designed to use your own weight for resistance—no equipment needed. Yoga mats are inexpensive and make working out super convenient. Just set it up in front of a TV or laptop and crank out some crunches, squats and planks while watching your favorite Netflix show.  But, if you’re like me and have exhausted all the standard workout moves (one can only crunch for so long) and have no idea what else to actually do than fitness apps, instructional YouTube videos are great solutions. These free apps, like the Nike Training Club, let you pick what kind of workout you want and how long you want to do it for, transforming your room into an effective workout environment. However, if you’re running low on iPhone storage space (we’ve all been there), you can follow along to a YouTube workout video like Blogilates which requires minimal equipment and is super easy to do in a dorm or apartment. 

Yoga
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

2. Walk to Class

Make it a daily habit to walk to class and before you know it, you won’t even realize you’re working out. Getting fresh air and walking not only improves your physical health but also your mental health, too! Fast-paced walking won’t only get your heartrate pumping, but it also successfully gets you to your 8 a.m. on time. Just try not to get stuck behind that slow walker… Also, don’t forget to take the stairs instead of the elevator! And don’t feel embarrassed to walk into class a little out of breath…we’ve all taken a hit from those Gregory Hall stairs. Trust me, you’re not alone. 

Anna Schultz-Girl With Notebooks And Backpack
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

3. Intramural Sports

Join an intramural sports team that you’re enthusiastic about. These teams are the perfect solution for those whose love of the sport doesn’t exactly match up with their athletic ability. UIUC offers any sport you can think of, from ultimate frisbee to table tennis, you’ll be sure to find something you find fun and pressure-free. 

4. One Credit Fitness Courses

The university offers a variety of courses that not only keep you in shape but also count as credit for graduation. Personally, I am enrolled in a Pilates course and although it requires me to wake up at 8 am, it also forces me to get moving instead of procrastinating in my bed all day. This course and similar one credit fitness courses are basically a guaranteed A+ to raise your GPA since grades are based on attendance and participation. And yes, I do go back to bed right after. 

Unsplash / Bruce Mars

Get up and get moving!

I am a junior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and I am super passionate about writing, style, and inspiring young girls to be confident and to achieve their goals!