Wellness

Want to Improve Your Day, Relationships and Mental Health? Buy This Journal.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

At first, the idea of journaling was intimidating. I always struggled to find the motivation to write. I would ask myself, what should I write about? Is this worth the time? What is the point?

Then, I purchased The Five Minute Journal and it changed my life.

Here are some reasons why you need this journal:

1. It helps you recognize what you are grateful for.

Every morning, I write down three things that I am grateful for. Some days, I am grateful for small things like a compliment that I received or that the dining hall dinner wasn’t awful. Other days, I focus on larger things like our beautiful planet or the amazing opportunities at the University of Illinois. Each day, I challenge myself to write something I have not written before. The Five Minute Journal made me realize how much I take for granted on a daily basis. Journaling puts into perspective how the things we overlook the most are oftentimes the things that we are most grateful for.

grateful sign
Photo by Dylan Ferreira from Unsplash

2. It helps you start your day with optimism.

The Five Minute Journal allows me to start my day with the best intentions. In the morning, I write down three things that will improve my day. I realized how much control I have in my daily routine. I also recognized the power of implementing acitvites into my day to better myself. Something as simple as working out, calling a family member, or eating a healthy meal can improve your day more than you realize. Writing down these goals is a way to ensure you make time for yourself every day.

Silhouette of two people
Photo by Tori Wise from Unsplash

3. It increases confidence and improves mental health.

Every morning, I write affirmations in my journal. When I first started doing this, I thought it was pointless. Like, for real, why am I writing about how awesome and smart I am? I was wrong. Affirmations make you believe in yourself. They help you recognize all of the amazing qualities you possess; they decrease stress levels and they change your mindset. Affirmations make you think highly of yourself, therefore boosting your confidence and overall well-being.   

4. A place for reflection and personal growth.

Every night, I write down three amazing things that happened to me that day. This helps me identify who/what brings me joy. It is a reminder that something good happens to me every day, even if I had a horrible day. Next, I write down what I could have done to make my day better. This allows me to reflect on my day and to create new goals for the future. This period of reflection before bed helps to clear my mind and to prepare for tomorrow with the best intentions. These questions oftentimes help me recognize what I need to work on and help me realize how much I have grown.

Pexels
Journaling is an extremely beneficial habit that everyone should implement in their daily routine. The Five Minute Journal has helped me improve my mental health, relationships, and mood. It has challenged me to create new goals and it has helped me understand myself on a deeper level.

Trust me, you will not regret buying The Five Minute Journal!

Chloe Davis

Illinois '24

Hi! My name is Chloe and I am a Sophomore at UIUC studying Advertising.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.