This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Spring is a season of rebirth and renewal, and I always associate this season with self-care. As individuals, we are always trying to better ourselves in one way or another, but it is important to look at yourself holistically. I try to do something for my mind and body, as well as encompass all aspects of being a full-time student. It takes a certain kind of discipline to keep up with yourself and make your well-being a priority alongside your other priorities, like school and work. On or near our campus, however, there are plenty of places that cater to each one of your needs, and have the potential to improve your life in numerous ways. Below is a short list of places you might want to check out! 

Wanting to hit the gym? you’ve got options!

If you are wanting to get in a good workout, look no further than the ARC or CRCE. The ARC lower level was recently remodeled to include new equipment, turf floors and power lifting racks. The ARC also includes an indoor climbing wall, an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, a sauna, racquetball courts and three gymnasiums for team sports. This is a condensed list as I am sure you can find more information on their website. CRCE may be smaller and quieter, but the positive side of that is the environment is more relaxed for you to enjoy being active. My personal favorite part of CRCE is their aquatic center, which has a water slide!

In need of new work/study spot?

There are plenty of libraries here that can meet this need. Sometimes, though, a different vibe can help you refocus and make your work a little bit more exciting. The Literary, a book “bar” located near downtown Champaign on Neil Street, is a unique establishment that includes a book shop, a coffee shop and a bar all-in-one. It is the perfect marriage of academia, tranquility and fun. You can sip while you work and enjoy the cozy nature of the café. Environments like these can increase productivity levels.

Do you want to disconnect from everything and reconnect with nature?

In the hustle and bustle of our busy lives, sometimes all we need to do is to re-ground ourselves. I find that this is best done in an expansive outdoor environment. The Arboretum and Japanese Garden on campus are the perfect places to go to be serene in nature. There is a walking path, lots of grassy areas and trees. If you come in the first week of April, the Japanese cherry blossoms are in full bloom and beautiful to look at. This local getaway from the “normalcy” of college life is much needed when you feel overwhelmed or stressed. 

nature flowers spring pink
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

Be sure to take care of yourselves this season and listen to what your bodies and minds need!

Hi everyone, my name is Solomiya and I am a junior majoring in Kinesiology at UIUC. Though I study within a STEM related field, I have always loved the arts- especially writing. I am so excited to be on this team and rekindle that writer's spark!