Life > Experiences

Staycationing 101: How to Have Fun at Home This Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

FOMO can be a real downer when it comes to watching your friends go off to tropical destinations for spring break when you have nothing planned. However, you can still live your best life this spring break without any ticket booking or travel worries.

Spa day

Take a self-care day to fully reset during your well-deserved break from school. Even if you’re home, you can still treat yourself to a fresh set of nails, a new haircut, or a nice facial. Treating yourself to self-care can help you feel refreshed, almost like you’re a whole new person. After a stressful week of midterms, we should all take a breather and treat ourselves.

Head downtown

Visiting your nearest downtown area can be a great way to get out of the house without breaking the bank or going too far from home. Downtown areas are great for finding fun new restaurants to try, boutiques, and photo-ops. Going downtown for brunch with friends and shopping for a new spring wardrobe can be a fun way to get out and bond with your besties.

Go for a hike

If the weather is nice enough, finding a nice hiking path nearby can be a super fun way to get out and get active. Illinois has lots of great parks and trails, my personal favorite being Starved Rock State Park. It’s packed with lots of natural scenery and is super relaxing to walk or bike through. You will be able to get active while feeling connected with nature.

Movie and pizza night

Go back to the simpler things in life and enjoy a relaxing night in. Invite over your friends or family and dress up in your cutest and comfiest pajamas, rent the latest movie, and indulge. Take this a step further and make a charcuterie board to make the night feel a bit fancier.

Take a cooking class

Taking a cooking class is a great way to learn something new, have fun, and eat a delicious meal. If you’re over 21, wine tasting is also a fun way to try new things and escape from your daily norms. This is also a great activity to do with friends.

Senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign studying Environmental Policy and Economics.