This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

In a society obsessed with health and keeping up with the latest trends, Acai bowls have come to dominate our diets (and our Insta feeds). Besides looking aesthetically pleasing, Acai bowls are actually tasty, as well. Due to their high demand, you can find Acai bowls at almost any health food restaurant or local juice bar. Unfortunately, these bowls tend to be a tad pricey. The good news is we can all make homemade Acai bowls to fit our own tastes, and our own budgets. Check out the simple steps below to start making your own beautiful and delectable bowls!

Step 1: Buy the ingredients

The most important ingredient in making an Acai bowl is the acai berry packet or powder. Acai packets are sold at many local grocery stores and are usually stored in the frozen section. My favorite Acai packet is the Sambazon brand, but you can use whichever brand you prefer. After purchasing the packet, make sure to buy any fruits, veggies, or toppings you’d like to add. I always love adding a mix of frozen berries, half a banana, rolled oats, and a drop of honey!

Step 2: Blend the ingredients

After you’ve purchased all of your ingredients, get ready to blend. First, add the Acai packet. Here’s a tip: let the packet thaw outside of the freezer beforehand, or run it under hot water before opening, because these packets can be a bit difficult to squeeze into the blender if they are kept in the freezer for too long. After adding the Acai, you can add any type of fruit or veggies you’d like to blend into your smoothie base. Next, add three and a half tablespoons of rolled oats followed by ⅔ of a cup of milk, almond milk, or coconut milk. If you’d like to make your smoothie a little sweeter, add ingredients such as maple syrup or honey. Lastly, put in half a hand full of ice and blend!

Step 3: The toppings!!

Adding the toppings to your bowl is the final step to make it super tasty, and aesthetically pleasing. Common toppings for Acai bowls include slivered almonds, coconut flakes, granola, flax seeds, cacao chips, or any type of sliced fruit. You can order the toppings in any arrangement you’d like. Personally, after I place my toppings I love to drizzle honey over the bowl!

Step 4: Enjoy!

In just a couple of easy steps you are ready to enjoy a super healthy and delicious Acai bowl. Before you dig in, don’t forget to snap a shot of your creation!

Picture Credits:

Author – Jessica Potempa

Sambazon Acai Packet Picture – https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/59/0b/f9590b97395859f042706741933a4d86…

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.