This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Whether you are running late to class, don’t have time to go home in between classes, or have to rush off to work, it is important you grab a snack to eat in that short period of time. Trying to find a quick, healthy snack when you are walking out the door is not always easy. Sometimes the easiest thing seems like a bag of chips, but that’s not the best option. Easy healthy snacks are not impossible. However, you need to make sure you prepare your snacks ahead of time when you know you will have a busy day. There are also snacks you can literally grab and go. 

Healthy snacks that take a little preparation: 

Cucumber Rolls

Cucumber rolls are delicious and perfect to eat on the go. In order to make them, you need to slice up a cucumber long ways. Then, you spread a light cream cheese on top of the slices. Rolls up your slices, and put a toothpick through each to hold them in place. You can put the rolls in a little container, and you are all set for a healthy snack to eat in between classes.

Fruit Smoothies 

You can prepare your own fruit smoothie with all your favorite ingredients. No matter if you prefer all berries, strawberries and bananas, or bananas with peanut butter you can make your own personalized tasty smoothie. My personal favorite is a peanut butter banana smoothie. For this smoothie, you need one whole banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, soy milk, and ice. First, fill a little more than half of the cup you plan to drink the smoothie in with ice. Pour the ice in the blender. Split the banana in two. Add the two pieces of banana and tablespoon of peanut butter to the blender. Pour in about half a measuring cup of soy milk. Blend it all, and there is your personalized fruit smoothie. 

Greek Yogurt with Fruit 

100 grams of fat free Greek yogurt only contains roughly 55 calories. You can either buy small individual containers of yogurt or a big bin. Either way add some blueberries or sliced up strawberries to sweeten up your snack. Grab a spoon and you have a great snack for the day.

No preparation healthy snacks:

Apples with Peanut Butter 

Grocery stores sell little on the go containers of peanut butter. The peanut butter packs make this snack much easier to get ready and less messy to eat. Slice your apple, put it in a bag, and grab a peanut butter pack. 

String Cheese

A good snack does not get much easier than this. All you have to do is make sure you get it out of the refrigerator, and you’re all set. 

Trail Mix

Trail mix can be unhealthy if you put the wrong foods in it. It is easiest to buy it already prepared at the store, but remember to check the ingredients. The healthy trail mix you want consists of almonds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and dried cranberries. If you buy a large bag, you should still only eat a serving size as a snack for the day. 

These snacks are simple and healthy. Eating healthy does not always have to be difficult or time consuming. Hopefully next time you are in a hurry you will remember your healthy snack on your way out the door.

Photo 1  |  Photo 2  |  Photo 3  |  Photo 4

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.