This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As we all know, COVID-19 has swept the world, drastically altering our lives. Many are now unemployed, medical workers are putting in overtime, the economy is in a major decline and students are, well, still in school. University students have been sent home and directed to use Zoom to participate in classes for the remainder of the school year. For many, this is hardly ideal but with less than a month left of school, it’s the only choice. You’re capable of completing this school year successfully; I believe in you! Follow these tips in order to finish off Zoom University strong.

Monica Stressed
Giphy

1. Stay Organized

It’s SO hard to be motivated to whip out your laptop and chug away at assignments. The worst thing you can do to yourself is let them pile up until you have a mental breakdown. What you can do to avoid this is make a chart, calendar, spreadsheet, etc. of the things you need to do and when they’re due. Staying organized is crucial, especially in times like these. Also, don’t let yourself fall too far behind. Hopefully your professors have cut you some slack, but unfortunately others aren’t that nice. Sure, watching TikToks in bed is what I’d rather be doing all day too but it’s important that you stay on top of school work so that you aren’t trying to complete 12 assignments at once.

a photo of an open planner
Free-Photos | Pixabay

2. Communication

Another way to be successful in online classes is by staying in close contact with your professors/TAs. They’re there to help you, so don’t hesitate to reach out! That’s their job, after all. Many professors are offering office hours via Zoom so take advantage of that. A lot of students are under pressure right now because of their home life. Some students have jobs, no access to the internet or have to take care of their family. Your professors should realize that and respect that. If you’re not able to complete assignments due to your home life, be transparent and communicate that with your professor. I’m sure they would be willing to work it out with you; they’re human too! If they’re not willing to do so, you’re able to report them if it gets severe. You can do this by contacting the Office of Student Affairs, your Dean or an advisor. It’s also important to mention that most schools are offering credit/no credit or pass/no pass classes. This may also be beneficial to you, so verify how your university is handling grading. 

Coronavirus
Unsplash

3. Be Nice To Yourself

I promise you, every student is in the same shoes as you in some way, shape or form. School is the easiest to complete when you’re actually in a proper learning environment. Remember to not be too hard on yourself. You can only do so much so be patient, and take it one class at a time. Also remember to take time out of the day for yourself. You won’t be successful if you burn yourself out. You’re not a machine, you’re human. Of course school is important, but self care, family, and your mental/physical health is far more important. Check up on friends and family and give them words of encouragement. Everyone needs some positivity right now! One day, this life changing pandemic will all be a chapter in a history book. Until then, do your best and give it all you’ve got. You will get through this and come out on top!

\"you got this\" on a letter board
Pexels

Senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign studying advertising and business. Currently serving as the Campus Correspondent for her chapter.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.