This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As the cool weather sets in and all of our favorite coffee places on campus are releasing their seasonal drinks, it’s finally starting to feel like fall. This year, with many fall activities canceled or restricted, decorating your dorm or apartment is the perfect way to get in the mood for spooky season. Here are some decorating ideas that are perfect for your dorm or college apartment.

1. Painted Pumpkins

Curtis Orchard & Pumpkin Patch is a University of Illinois student favorite. At Curtis Orchard, you can pick apples and pumpkins, visit the petting zoo and buy fall treats like apple cider donuts. You can get small pumpkins at the pumpkin patch and acrylic paint to decorate them with your friends or roommates. Compared to carving jack-o-lanterns, painting a pumpkin is easy and creates less of a mess, plus it’s just as fun! You could paint a friendly witch or vampire, your favorite movie character or even a fall quote- the choices are endless!

Girls Pumpkins
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

2. Lights

Autumn reminds me of the bonfires my family and I would have back home around Halloween. To replicate the soft lighting of a bonfire, yellow or orange icicle lights can be used to decorate your apartment or dorm room. My roommates and I have lights on our balcony with mini jack-o-lanterns on them that provide an orange glow, which has made it feel a bit more like fall during this time.

string lights wrapped around pumpkin
Photo by ?ukasz Nie?cioruk from Unsplash

3. Fall Scented Candles

If you live in an apartment, lighting a fall scented candle is a great way to bring in softer lighting and manufacture the scents of autumn activities like baking cinnamon bread or making s’mores at a bonfire. Living in a dorm, unfortunately, means that no candles are allowed- but that doesn’t mean you have to go without experiencing the fall scents you love. Most college dorms allow essential oil diffusers. Using oils such as cinnamon and nutmeg, you can create the same sense of fall in your room. Another dorm option is a candle warmer, which plugs into the wall and melts wax that you buy separately in your favorite scents. Many candle warmers have pretty designs and are great for year-round decorating.

Pixabay

4. Fall Crafts

My favorite part of fall is the opportunity to participate in so many fun occasions with friends and family. This year, there are fewer options, but you can still plan activities at your dorm or apartment. Instead of buying all your fall decorations, make some at home with your roommates or other friends! You can make your favorite fall treats while you paint a sign with a quote you love in autumn colors or make a wreath to hang on your outside door. Use your imagination, or your social media, to find an idea that you and your friends will love. Remember to have fun!

Andrea Wilcox

Illinois '22

I'm a junior at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign studying Actuarial Science and Communication. In my free time, I like to drink tea, draw and write.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.