This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s no secret that college can be draining. Between class, work, midterms and extracurriculars, there’s never a shortage of things on your to-do list. About halfway through the semester, many people tend to start feeling some effects of burnout. The mid-semester slump is real! Here are a few steps you can take to get back on track and refocus to finish the semester strong. 

1. Organize and Regroup 

First of all, take a deep breath. If your brain is busy, your life is probably a reflection of that. If you have a free few hours during the week or a weekend off from staring at textbooks, evaluate your space. Do a power hour of cleaning your living space or take a full day to organize your life. Part of regrouping can be self care too! Do a face mask while you do your laundry. Play your favorite new album while you organize all the laptop files on your desktop. Take the day to recenter yourself and your life, but in a fun and relaxing way.

Unsplash

2. Switch Up Your Study Spaces 

Always studying in the same spaces or buildings can get repetitive and make you not want to go there or study at all. Switch it up and try out a new space. Go to the Starbucks in Urbana instead of the one at the bookstore. If you always opt for the UGL, try the BIF next time. There are endless places on campus for you to spread out and get some work done. It doesn’t have to be a drag to leave the house and study anymore! Straying from the norm will motivate you more and will hopefully pull you out of the boring slump of trips to the quiet floor of the library. 

person using laptop at a desk
Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash

3. Communicate 

You might have nightly rant sessions of spilling the tea with your roommates, but you and your friends already know everything that’s going on in each other’s lives. Sometimes college can feel like a bubble, especially when you’re surrounded by the same people and boring routine day in and day out. When you’re in a slump (and definitely other times too!), take the opportunity to catch up with a sibling or your parents. You have no idea how big of an impact calling your mom can have on your mood. People who don’t live each day physically with you can give you outside perspective and unbiased advice. Or they can be a comforting listening ear when you just can’t talk about that one group project anymore to the same friends you always do. But seriously… call your mom! 

Paul Hanaoka
Paul Hanaoka / Unsplash

4. Treat Yourself 

Here’s the thing: Treating yourself in college can easily get out of hand. Retail therapy is not always the answer (though sometimes, it just has to be done). At this point in the semester, it’s going to be the little things that get you through to the end of it. Head to the bookstore and pick out a comfy new sweatshirt to wear to class next week. Grab a coffee in between classes. Have a movie night with friends. The simplest things can boost your mood but they don’t always have to involve spending money. Choose things that make you happy. 

Netflix symbol on TV with a hand holding a remote
Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash

It can be a struggle getting through the mid-semester slump. Whether that be mentally, emotionally or physically (team no-sleep), it never hurts to take some time for yourself to be able to regroup and refocus on your semester goals. Self care is super important, as is reconnecting with those outside of the college bubble. Take care of yourself and remind yourself daily that there’s just a few more weeks to go (and spring break is oh so soon!). Get out of your funk and find new ways to enjoy campus, classes and life. 

Hi there! I'm Kendall and I'm a sophomore in advertising at the University of Illinois. Aside from staying busy writing at my internship and running around campus, you can find me adding to my monthly Spotify playlists, listening to true crime podcasts, running at the arc, or having cozy movie nights with friends!
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.