College-Friendly Breakfasts to Brighten Your Mornings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Let’s be honest – getting up in the morning for class is hard. Making a decently healthy breakfast before class? Even harder. Having a busy, on-the-go lifestyle in college can be hard to handle at times, but a healthy breakfast will never fail to fuel you for the start of your day. Here are four healthy options for breakfast that won’t break the bank and will hopefully help make your mornings a little more bearable.

1. Overnight Oats 

Let’s start with an easy one! Overnight oats are seriously one of the fastest and simplest breakfast ideas out here. All you need is: 

• Rolled oats 

• Milk (Whatever type you like! I prefer almond milk) 

• Maple syrup or other sweetener 

• Cinnamon 

• Chia seeds 

• Vanilla extract 

The best part of this “recipe” is that all the measurements are able to be eyeballed and all the ingredients just need to be mixed together. Leave it in the fridge overnight and top with anything you like in the morning, like coconut flakes, chocolate chips, peanut butter and fruit. It’s healthy and it tastes good, plus it’ll keep you full until lunch! 

2. PB&B Toast 

This next one is one of my favorites and an absolute go to for busy mornings where I need to get out the door quickly. Start with any bread you like (I like sprouted grain, but to each their own) and toast 1-2 slices. Cover each with peanut butter and sliced banana and drizzle a little bit of honey over top. My final finishing touch is sprinkling some chia seeds on top. If you’re a fan of chia, it makes it even better! This is a simple idea, but taking two slices and making it into a sandwich makes it easy to transport and eat on the go as you’re walking out the door on your way to class. 

3. Egg Scramble 

I would usually save this one for the weekends since it takes a little bit of prep but you can most definitely make this during the week if you have a few extra minutes. I start by prepping some mix-ins, like diced onion, green pepper and any other toppings you may want. I even cut up some breakfast sausage sometimes to add in. The way to make it easiest in the morning is to use liquid eggs (it sounds gross, but I promise it’s not). They come in a carton so you can easily pour them into a pan, throw in your toppings and sprinkle on some cheese. Let it all cook while you’re packing up your bag and it’ll be finished in under five minutes! 

4. Fruit Smoothies 

Yes, this one might be basic, but there is an easy prep that can be done in order to make it a quick throw-together breakfast in the morning. It’s likely a budget-friendly option to use frozen, diced fruit that’s pre-packaged and ready to go. If you choose to use fresh fruit, cut it up and separate your mixture of fruits into (reusable!) plastic bags and put them in the freezer for easy access in the morning. If you ever don’t know what to do for breakfast or are just in a hurry, being able to grab a bag of fruit and toss it in the blender with some milk or orange juice and some ice will whip up a super easy smoothie in minutes. You can even make them ahead for the next day and store them in the fridge or freezer in air-tight mason jars overnight for super easy transport to class or wherever you may be headed in the morning. 

These super simple breakfast meals are sure to make your life just a little bit easier and those college mornings just a little bit sweeter! 

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4 

Hi there! I'm Kendall and I'm a sophomore in advertising at the University of Illinois. Aside from staying busy writing at my internship and running around campus, you can find me adding to my monthly Spotify playlists, listening to true crime podcasts, running at the arc, or having cozy movie nights with friends!
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.