girl travel colorado hiking peace trees mountains
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

The Art of Releasing Good Energy, and Getting it Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

SO…what is manifestation?

Talk of manifesting and the law of attraction seem to be just about everywhere right now. Sprinkled throughout your Twitter feed or For You Page on TikTok is a whole lot of information about attracting what you put out. Even Ariana Grande is referencing her experiences with LOA in her song, “just like magic” which incorporates manifestation lyrics like, “I get everything I want cause I attract it.” While this ideology has been gaining lots of attention in the past few months, it has actually been a popular way of thinking for ages and many have seen the positive effects of it. But what exactly is the law of attraction? And how can you manifest your goals with it? 

Smiley face on the street
Photo by Jacqueline Munguia from Unsplash

The overall description of the Law of Attraction can be found in the included hyperlink! To sum it up, it’s the idea that all thoughts turn into things…at least eventually. Whether it’s done intentionally or unintentionally, we spend our whole lives acting as human magnets: magnets that send our thoughts and emotions out into the universe and in turn, attract back whatever we have sent out. The idea that like attracts like means that positive thoughts attract positive experiences and negative thoughts attract negative experiences. When you have negative feelings and thoughts towards anything, you’re subconsciously placing a boundary between yourself and opportunities. Negativity and self-doubt drive a wedge into one’s confidence, which can cause you to not take necessary risks or accept new opportunities. However, when you exhibit positivity, positive energy surrounds you and presents new prospects or that little boost of confidence you need to take a leap of faith. 

bullet journal with two gold pillar candles
Photo by Estée Janssens from Unsplash

Putting This into Practice

You can implement the use of manifestation in an array of ways; some you may be utilizing it without even knowing it. Practicing manifestation is really just working to reinforce the goals you already have set in your mind; take Pinterest or mood boards, for example, which are an excellent way to visualize the life you want to attract. Even the simplicity of blowing out a birthday candle is an example of manifesting already ingrained in our society. Words of affirmation are also valuable in this sense. Instead of saying, “I wish I had a boyfriend” try replacing this with “I’m worthy of love and support.” If you like to write, try journaling. Spend time describing both short and long-term goals, then describe how you plan to achieve them. If you’re stuck with how to do this, here’s another example regarding a career path you would like to take. The entry would look something like this, “I have a career in a field I’m interested in that fulfills me. I worked hard to achieve this goal and my hard work paid off.” This type of thinking assists in encouraging you to truly believe you’re worthy of what you desire.

Keep Karma in Mind

What goes around comes around, so make sure to lead your life in a way that attracts what you would want. Carrying burdens or ill feelings can weigh you down and make it harder to carry yourself in a way that showcases your best self. Take time to go out of your way to be kind to others. Compliment a stranger, exude warmth, be continuously thankful, check in on your friends and practice patience. Take note of how even the smallest of actions can make someone’s day and change how you feel for even the slightest second. It will only be a matter of time before you experience how good it feels when this positive energy boomerangs back to you!

Kayla Bacon-Dramatically Skipping Down Road
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

Learning to Let Go

When dealing with the law of attraction, one important note to remember is the art of letting go. The human mind is a powerful thing, and continuously dwelling on a goal can prohibit you from achieving it. Release this notion, do not overthink it and let the universe take control. A common misconception regarding manifestation is the belief that you can try to manifest a goal without putting in the work to achieve it. The goal is to believe that you already are where you want to be, and that putting no effort into making small changes hinders this goal. One of the most effective practices to put into play while manifesting a goal is to continuously work towards that goal, while sincerely believing that you’re worthy of achieving that goal and already have accomplished it.

With all that being said, the key takeaway regarding the Law of Attraction is to remember that you have the power to create the life that you desire. Remind yourself to do everything with a purpose while making sure to set the right intentions and see the way your life unfolds with changes. When you speak, the universe listens. Keep your goals and your dreams in mind and believe in yourself that you have the power to achieve them!

Christine Sheriff is a Senior majoring in Communications. In her free time you can find Christine baking, curating the perfect Spotify playlist, or trying to learn how to paint.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.