This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Here are some of my favorite tips that can make you a total girl boss.

1. Go to sleep early and wake up early

By going to bed early and waking up early, you are up before the rest of the world and you have so much more quiet time. By waking up at six a.m. every morning, I am able to go to the gym, shower, and do a ton of homework before anyone else in my house wakes up. This not only makes me feel productive for the day, but I also don’t have any distractions from my phone or other people.

2. Write to-do lists the night before

By getting everything down on a piece of paper, you have everything you need to do for the next day and will be able to sleep better not thinking of everything you need to do the next day.

3. Make SMART goals

Recently I made my five-year plan, which is basically just everything I want to accomplish by the end of each year. You should also be making SMART goals, which stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-bound. The difference between a regular goal and a smart goal is “graduate with a good GPA” vs. “get a 3.5 GPA this semester.” By setting a time frame and a specific GPA, you will know if you can achieve it or not.

4. Make a LinkedIn and use it to your full advantage

By now you should have a LinkedIn account that is updated to your current GPA, extracurriculars, and jobs. You never know what type of opportunity you could stumble upon if a company sees your LinkedIn profile and reaches out to you. You should also connect with people that you meet professionally to build up your network.  

5. Create a morning routine

You should create a morning routine that makes you want to get out of bed. You will wake up with a purpose and by sticking to it, you will feel more productive.

6. Create a budget

By having a budget, you can practice and get used to managing money before you go into the real world. This way, you will already have good money habits when you are dealing with a full-time job salary.

7. Read the news

You should take five to ten minutes every day to go through what’s happening around the world to gain some knowledge of your surroundings. Apple has a great news app that gives me the top stories every day, as well as getting the option to follow certain topics that I am interested in.

8. Stretch and break a sweat almost every day

By getting your blood pumping every day, you will not only feel more productive after a good workout, but you will also be improving your overall health. You should also try to stretch every day to keep yourself flexible and healthy.

By following these steps you too can be a total girl boss!

Photo 1Photo 2 | Photo 3

Allie Driscoll

Illinois '21

My name is Allie! I'm a sophomore at the University of Illinois majoring in Marketing and Information Systems!
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.