This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

There’s no doubt that finals week is one of the most stressful times of the semester. Not only is the semester coming to a close, but summer is so close it’s hard to stay motivated! From making a schedule to practicing calming techniques, these tips will help you stay sane during finals week.

1. Make a Schedule 

If you go into finals week blindly, you’re sure to stress yourself out even more! Before the week starts, make a hour-by-hour schedule of each day so you feel like you have control over your time and are being productive. Try and stick to this schedule to reduce cramming at the last minute! 

2. Get Some Rest

Although staying up late at night might seem like a good idea at the time, depriving your body of sleep could not be more harmful to you during this week. Letting your body regenerate will not only cause you to physically feel better, but also will give your brain a rest. Sometimes it’s worth it to get some rest rather than trying to cram for an exam you won’t be able to focus on if you don’t get enough sleep.

3. Stay Active 

Sitting in one position too long can reduce blood flow throughout your body and allow your muscles to cramp. Even if you don’t have time for a full workout, consider taking frequent sitting breaks and take a walk outside or do a few reps of lunges or crunches. Your body will thank you for it!

4. Meal Prep

It’s very tempting during finals week to eat sugary and processed foods, but these foods will actually decrease your energy levels and make you feel more fatigued and tired. Before the week begins, try stocking up on healthy snacks and trying out meal prep recipes. This recipe for chicken burrito bowls will leave you feeling full and ready to take anything studying throws your way!

5. Take Time for Yourself

Try not to lose motivation and remember why you are working so hard during this stressful time! Remember that it’s okay to take breaks and do something for yourself if you’re feeling overwhelmed. Read your favorite magazine, listen to some music or stop by your favorite restaurant for takeout. And remember… you deserve it! 

Picture 1 | Picture 2 | Picture 3 | Picture 4 | Picture 5

Sam Schrage

Illinois '20

Hi everyone! I am currently a senior at the University of Illinois studying journalism and public relations. I am also the co-campus correspondent for the University of Illinois chapter of Her Campus and am excited to be leading a team of great women this year. I love fashion, music and travel and hope to write for a fashion magazine after graduation.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.