4 Reasons Why Running Is the Best Exercise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

You can tell that bikini season is coming up quickly by how full the ARC is all of a sudden. The once barren ellipticals are now full of girls trying to achieve their dream bodies in time for summer and it’s near impossible to find a spot to lay down a yoga mat. 

Running is one of the best exercises you can do. If you’re skeptical, here’s four benefits of running:

1. Whittle Your Waist

Even though you’re not directly targeting your core while you run, running still indirectly effects these muscles, giving you awesome abs. Running is a full body workout that targets all of your muscles, and your abs especially. When you’re running, they are working hard to help you balance and stand up straight, so don’t be surprised if your abs are super sore the day after a run.

2. Get a Tan

Go out for a run outside and you’ll be toning up and getting some sun while you’re at it. If you’re trying for a summer body, you may as well start getting a head start on your summer tan too!

3. Burn a Ton of Calories

According to Active.com, running is the second best way to burn calories, only behind cross-country skiing. As far as exercises go, if you’re aiming to slim down, running is definitely the most efficient route.

4. Make Your Strength Exercises More Effective

Doing cardio before strength exercises like core work and weight lifting will help you get the most out of those workouts. You are going to see results a lot quicker if you combine running and strength training than if you were just strength training alone.

Running is a great form of exercise because it’s something that you can do with no equipment and no gym membership required. There are a few things that you’re going to want to keep in mind in order to get the most out of your run and keep yourself injury free:

• Always warm up before running and cool down when finished to ease your muscles in and out of the exercise.

• Stretching is critical in order to make sure that you don’t get injured and to help elongate your muscles.

• Make sure you are wearing proper running shoes with plenty of support to avoid injury!

• Stay hydrated. If you’re not used to regular exercise, be sure to be well hydrated before going out on your run.

Now what are you waiting for? Go get to running! Your body (and health) will thank you!

I am a sophomore at the University of Illinois studying Speech Language Pathology and American Sign Language. I spend most of my time studying, blogging, working out, and sleeping. You can find me on Twitter (MostlyMorgan_), Instagram (morgietimm), or blogging on my own blog, www.mostlymorgan.com
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.