This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

When I wake up in the mornings, I often find myself feeling depleted and in need of something to help wake me up. While coffee does provide a great caffeine boost in the morning, it doesn’t always give make me feel great after and I find myself reaching for a snack shortly after. Finding a healthy, nourishing source of energy is such an important part to beginning your day, and a smoothie can be the perfect way to start your morning off right.

It is also important to keep a few crucial tips in mind as you make these or any type of smoothie. I recommend using frozen fruit while blending, as it helps thickens up the consistency and allows you to cut out ice which can water it down. I’ve also found it helpful to add your liquid in first to the mixture, as it helps with texture and blending in general.

There are many different combinations to try while making smoothies, so have fun playing around and adding to recipes and putting your own touch on it. Here are three of my easy, fresh smoothie recipes that won’t take more than 10 minutes to make.

Banana Berry Smoothie

This go-to smoothie is the perfect breakfast, filled with antioxidants and potassium. Not only will you feel super filled after having this smoothie, but you’ll have a great burst of energy.

Ingredients:

1 medium banana, frozen

¾ cup blueberries, frozen

¼ cup raspberries,

5 strawberries, frozen

½ cup milk

½ cup plain, Greek yogurt

Step 1) Cut up frozen strawberries and banana into small pieces.

Step 2) Pour in milk, then rest of ingredients into blender and mix till smooth.

Pexels

Green Smoothie

While green smoothies might be intimidating at first glance to some, they are the perfect way to sneak in some extra veggies. This smoothie can double as a meal, as it encompasses many vitamins and food groups, or a pick-me-up drink.

Ingredients:

½ ripe avocado, preferred frozen

2 cups spinach

1 cup pineapple

½ cup mango, frozen

½ cup orange juice

1 tablespoon honey

Step 1) Cut up mango pineapple, and banana into small chunks for easier blending.

Step 2) Add spinach to blender and mix with ¼ of orange juice.

Step 3) Combine rest of ingredient to mix and blend until smooth.

fruit smoothie in glass with metal straw
Photo by Element5 Digital from Pexels

Pink Tropical Smoothie

This protein and iron rich smoothie is a fun way to start your day. Even if you might not be sipping on a beach, it is the perfect summer treat that creates a mini paradise.

Ingredients:

¾ raspberries, frozen

1 whole kiwi, peeled

½ cucumber, peeled

½ medium banana, frozen

½ Greek yogurt, plain

½ cup orange juice, pulp-free

Step 1) Wash and peel cucumber

Step 2) Cut up kiwi, cucumber, and banana into small chunks for easier blending.

Step 3) Add orange juice then combine rest of ingredients to mix until smooth.

Liz Gremer

Illinois '24

Freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign studying Speech and Hearing Sciences.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.