This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Sadly, rejection is something we ALL experience. Whether it’s getting turned down for a job interview, a date with your crush or being a lead in the school play, it hurts every time. It’s common that when you get rejected, you start to feel rejected, which is damaging to self-esteem. Like you’re not good enough for anything. Hopefully, the content in this article will give you ideas of how to cope with the sucky feeling of rejection and to keep your confidence high, even during times of struggle.

1. Affirmations/gratitude

I think the first reaction to rejection is an internal scan of what we did wrong. Although it’s productive to learn from mistakes, letting rejection eat away at you is not. Remember the strengths you possess and your positive qualities. What you went through isn’t a setback, but an opportunity to grow. I truly believe that what’s yours will find you. If you didn’t get something you wanted, it could be a sign that it wasn’t meant for you at this moment. To keep your confidence (and sanity) secure during harsh rejections, practice gratitude and affirmations. Both have proven benefits, so although it might be strange at first, I’d recommend trying it. You could also follow affirmation accounts, adding some positivity to your social media feed.

My favorite Insta account for positive vibes

2. Music, music, music

I feel like music fixes everything. There’s nothing more validating than hearing an artist sing about an experience you’re going through. No shame in playing your sad girl playlist and having a good cry-sesh. It could be the release you needed. However, remember your worth, because let’s face it, you’re a baddie. Hype yourself up, even when no one else will. Here’s a playlist you can go on a hot girl strut with:

Quick confidence boost

3. put yourself out there

This might be the LAST thing you want to do. Running under the covers and cringing sounds like a better option. As hard as it might be, leaving the house and meeting new people helps take your mind off what’s bothering you (I’m an introvert and can confirm). You’re replacing that negative experience with a positive one. You’ve come too far to let a rejection stop you from chasing what you want and finding the people/opportunities you deserve. Set up a fun night out with friends or invite someone from your class out for coffee.

4. Practice Self-care

In the wise words of Olivia Rodrigo, “God, it’s brutal out here.” Treat yourself to coffee, watch your comfort show, or get your nails done. Whatever puts you in your happy place. Life throws a lot at you and it’s overwhelming to process it all. Slow down the chaos and take care of yourself and your mental health.

Rejection and fun are not synonymous. But it’s something we’ll face a lot, especially as we navigate through school and our careers. As clique as it sounds, as one door closes, another one opens. Bigger and better things are coming to you if you keep your head up!

“Always remember that no matter what life throws at you, keep your head up and always follow your heart.”

Sara Brown

Looking for even more? Check out this excellent article about overcoming rejection from the perspective of psychologists.

Isabel Crabtree

Illinois State '25

Hello everyone! I am a marketing student at Illinois State University. I love all things music, true crime, and self-improvement. I write to inspire and share what I've learned. Thank you for reading!