This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Prioritizing our health and well-being is the greatest thing we can do for ourselves, but finding the motivation to care for ourselves and work out can be incredibly hard sometimes. Being active is something we see preached on social media by influencers whose JOB it is to work out. So, as someone who struggles to find the motivation to work out, I’m here to give you some healthy tips that keep me (a full-time college student) motivated in the gym. 

In my personal experience, working out is 30% physical and 70% mental! 

Establishing a healthy relationship with the gym and, more importantly, with your body is essential. So many people force themselves to the gym because of how unhappy they look or feel in their skin, but forcing yourself into the gym makes it much more mentally challenging. Establishing an unhealthy relationship with working out limits our potential in the gym. When we put ourselves down, it’s hard to work up the courage to go to the gym because, usually, results are not instantaneous. 

So … keep it fun and light-hearted!

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Find out what makes you feel good. Forget the Tik Tok videos and Pinterest blogs that say you have to lift heavy weights or run daily to feel good and see progress. Going for a walk, practicing yoga, or even doing daily stretches is a great way to get your body moving and prioritize your health. Finding out what works for your body becomes more fun and less of a chore, making your relationship with the gym a positive one—which, in the long run, can help with consistency. 

Now that you know it’s all about the mindset, these are just a few things I do actually to hold myself accountable: 

1. Go with a friend

Having a gym buddy to keep you accountable is the best for you! Going to the gym is also fun because you work out with friends. My roommate and I like to attend the spin classes that ISU offers, and we get a great workout in and have fun while doing it! 

1. Write it down

For me, when I write out a schedule, I feel more accountable because this way, the goal feels obtainable, and it feels good knowing each day I’ve scheduled time for myself where I can work on my goals and keep myself healthy! 

1. Splurge on a cute workout set

Wearing a cute workout set always helps to keep me motivated in the gym because when you look good, you feel good. 

If you take anything away from this blog, let it be this: Your body loves you; love it back! Build a healthy relationship with your body and the gym by reducing the self-induced pressure— just have fun. Staying motivated in the gym isn’t easy, but consistency is key to doing what makes you feel your very best! You got this!

Julia Schweitzer

Illinois State '23

Julia is a senior at Illinois State University pursuing a BA in English Publishing. When she's not studying, you can find her reading her favorite romance novels, practicing yoga, or grabbing a coffee on campus.