This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The gyms have been slowly opening back up after what truly seemed like the fall of society since the C word erupted last year, and I know I am not the only one who got a little nervous about it. I don’t know about you, but Chloe Ting just did NOT do it for me!! Putting yourself out there again can be nerve wrecking, but before you completely psych yourself out, try some of these tips for boosting your confidence while working on yourself at the gym!

Create a playlist that makes you feel like the baddest, strongest version of yourself.

I cannot have a good, satisfying workout without playing Beyonce for 75% of the time. Sometimes having music that makes you want to sing and dance gives you that extra adrenaline rush you need to keep pushing yourself!

Invest in some work out clothes that make you feel good; when you feel good, you look good.

You do not need to break the bank to feel good and comfortable at the gym. Amazon has some great knock-off GymShark leggings that will make you feel like a Kardashian as soon as you slip them on, but I have found some of my best gym pieces at thrift stores.

Spend some time walking around your gym and learning where different machines and areas are.

The first or second time you go to the gym, ask someone at the front desk to give you a tour! If you aren’t ready for that, do a walk through by yourself at times the gym is not as busy. Get familiar with where everything is so that when you are working out you aren’t spending half your time lost!

Create workouts in advance so you know exactly where you’re going and what you’re doing.

Creating workouts in advance seems like it would be difficult, but when I first started I just went onto TikTok and looked under hashtags for “leg day” or “arm day,” etc. You can see the person do the motion, and learn the name of it! Creating workouts also can make you feel much more satisfied as you’re working down the list.

LOOK AROUND!!

I used to think the best way to navigate the gym was to keep to myself, never fully look up, and stay in one area. That resulted in A LOT of painfully awkward encounters and getting really bored, really quickly. Now, when I am taking a breath in between sets I will just scan the room; to see what everyones doing on certain machines, see if I know anyone, or even to just make it seem like I am purposefully looking around- which leads me into my last point.

Fake it till you make it!

This is the BEST ONE!! Seriously, this is how all confidence begins. Just fake it. Fake it. Seriously. Tell yourself you are the most important person in the room. You are there to work on you, so for that time you ARE most important. Never be afraid of being judged at the gym. Everyone is there to do the same thing you are. If you think someone is judging you or someone has before, just know all hate comes from jealousy, and be flattered that you have a fan!

Exercise is so important to living a healthy, happy lifestyle, so don’t let your fears of looking “silly” or fears of people judging you hold you back! The more you put yourself out there, the more you will be rewarded for it. Get out of your comfort zone, you may find your new passion!

Kaitlyn Peppler

Illinois State '23

Hey! My name is Kaitlyn Peppler, and I am so excited to be with Her Campus. I am all about self-love, self-care, and the bittersweet truth, so if you need a little bit of that, I'm your girl!