Wellness

A Guide on how to Relax and Relieve Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Everyone has those days when they feel like they have a million things to do and can’t catch a break. Especially in college, it is easy to fall into habits of procrastinating and waiting the last minute to do everything. It can be very stressful and will make you feel drained. However, there are many ways to cope with stress and help you relax. Here are some ways that you can do that!

1. ​​Get moving

This can be going to the gym and running on the treadmill or just simply getting up and stretching out. Another good way to relieve stress is going to yoga. This will put you in a zen state of mind and will help you relax. Yoga focuses on your breathing and also helps you release any negativity.

2. Face masks

Face masks are absolutely amazing. It makes your skin feel so clean and can leave a nice glow. Face masks can also help relax your mind and calm down your thoughts.

3. Take breaks

Sometimes we can build up stress because we try to do a million things at one time. It is very important to take breaks. Breaks can help your mind relax and also helps build incentives. Maybe if you study for 45 minutes, you can watch an episode of The Office before you have to go back to studying.

4. Journal

I know not everyone likes to write, but journaling is a good way to relieve stress. Journaling can be as simple as writing a list of what you got accomplished today or the triumphs of the day.

5. Take a SHORT nap

Take a 20-minute nap! It can help you almost restart and maybe after your nap you will be more productive. Just make sure the nap doesn’t turn into 2 hours. Make sure to set an alarm. Sleeping can always help you relax.

These are just a few tips on how to relax and relieve stress. Make sure you find out what works for YOU. You should always know what to do when you feel like you need a break or feel stressed out. Find things that you enjoy doing. I hope these were useful tips!

Contributor account for Illinois State