This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

According to research from the University of South Florida, 70% of college students say that they get less than eight hours of sleep per night.  If you are a part of this percentage, fear not.  I am here to help you with a few tactics to help you get those much needed zzz’s. 

Weighted Blanket

Weighted blankets can be especially helpful for those dealing with anxiety/stress induced insomnia.  Feeling like a giant hug, weighted blankets provide evenly distributed pressure that can be very relaxing.  It is important to note, however, that if you’re in the market for a weighted blanket, there are different weights that are ideal for different people.  The general rule of thumb is to choose a blanket that is 10% of your bodyweight.  

Cool Mist Humidifer

Are you someone who struggles with waking up with a dry, scratchy throat or stuffy nose?  This is commonly caused by a room being too dry.  A cool mist humidifier is an easy fix, and will make your space more comfortable!  I am someone who has dealt with those dreaded morning icks, and I’ve found that this humidifier from amazon is inexpensive and very user-friendly!

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Humidifier

Sleep Mask

Car lights, street lamps, or early sunrises got you down?  Try a sleep mask!  Studies show that complete darkness vastly improves the length and quality of sleep.  Sleep masks are a quick, inexpensive, and easy addition to your sleep routine that may just be the key to sweet dreams!

ASMR

ASMR, or Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, is the name for a relaxing feeling that many people experience when listening to certain quiet sounds or “triggers.”  The ASMR community on YouTube is fairly new, as of the past few years, but they have exploded in exposure and popularity.  This is definitely a niche option and an acquired taste, as many people find the whispering and repetitive sounds unpleasant.  However, if you do find yourself enjoying ASMR, it can be a therapeutic relaxing experience.  

Classical Radio

If ASMR isn’t your thing, classical radio might be the option for you.  Different genres of music can have different psychological effects on listeners, and low-energy classical is known for its relaxing properties.  YourClassical is a free website that provides classical music streaming stations for every mood, including Relax, Peaceful Piano, and Hygge (which is Danish for “a quality of coziness and contentment”). 

Bedtime Mode and Blue-Light Blocking

Blue light from electronics and buzzing of notifications can be detrimental to sleep.  With bedtime mode and blue-light settings, you can set your phone to activate Do Not Disturb at a certain time of night until you wake up, and set the screen display to a warmer tone.  This will cut down on blue-light exposure and allow you to unplug before sleep.  

Life can be stressful and sleep is important, but it’s not always the easiest to achieve.  So, next time you find yourself counting sheep, hopefully these tips will help you relax and catch some zzz’s!

Sonny Crull

Illinois State '23

Hi! My name is Sonny Crull, I am a Senior at Illinois State, and I'm majoring in Interpersonal Communications with a minor in Music! As a writer, I aim to use my voice and platform through Her Campus to share fun, engaging, and relatable content.
Contributor account for Illinois State