jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Back to School Tips to Get You Through The Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

School is now back in session.​ I know it sucks, but I’m here to help you through it. Even though I may not be a freshman anymore, these are some tips I wish I would have known before that I’d like to share with you.

1. Never buy your books​ ​early. Yes, I am serious. Do not do it unless you absolutely have an assignment that is due. You may show up to class and they tell you they don’t require a book or you might be able to get a book of a much cheaper price. Patience is definitely a virtue in this case and you could save a lot of money.

2. Always Keep Your Balance above a certain amount. I know you’ve heard this before how all college students are broke, but it is true and not a joke. I strongly suggest setting a limit on what you buy because in college your money definitely runs out quick. You could start off by only allowing yourself to spend 50 dollars a month or going out once a week. Whatever it may be, just have a goal and stick to it so you’re not stuck asking mom and dad for a few extra bucks.

3. Have your schedule visible​. Set your schedule as your screen saver the first couple of weeks (yes that is what I do and it always works) so you’re not walking around campus being that one noticeable freshman.

4. Stay Active and Healthy​. Freshman 15 is real and you definitely do not want to go back home wondering why everyone is staring at you. Try to take time out of the week by visiting the gym or even going to some of the workout classes they may have. Along with staying fit comes with eating right. I know the dining hall has very good food, but make sure you’re not relying on it too much and try to avoid eating super late.

5. Take Advantage of the Resources you have​. You also may hear this one a lot from your professor, but trust me it helps. If you need help, go see a tutor, counselor, advisor or whatever the case may be. They want to help you because it’s what they are here for so use it.

6. Last but not least get involved, especially if you are the introvert type like me.

I recommend joining at least two clubs a year. It will help you meet new people and also help get you out of your comfort zone.​

With Festival ISU coming up, look for something that might interests you and check it out.

Ariel McGee

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State