rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Tips to Combat Mid-Semester Stressors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Meet with a group to study

Meeting with a group to study is always a huge help. You have other students to help answer the questions you have. Also, they might have questions that you didn’t even think about asking. This can be a great way to learn more about the topic and get the most out of your class. Meeting with a group can also help you get out of the house and out of your own head. Just talking with other people can be a de-stressor even if you are talking about school. The in-between conversations can help the days go by faster.

Go to the gym or run outside

Elle woods once said, “Exercise gives you endorphins, and endorphins make you happy.” So be happy and head to the gym and jog or even walk on the treadmill for a while. Listen to some music and sweat it out. Honestly, it makes you feel a lot better. A lot of the things built up in your mind slowly get lesser while you are focusing on working out. Go with a friend if you don’t feel comfortable or aren’t a regular. Work on your physical self and it will help your mental self.

Organize, organize, organize

Write down everything you need to get done and by what date. Keep different classes separate from one another. When you have time and aren’t doing anything, get an assignment done for a class early. Even if it’s not due for a while, get it done now to get it out of the way. One less thing to do when you are stressed. Organize your room so you know where everything is and don’t have to be rushing around before your classes. The less stress and clutter, the better.

Sleep it off

Get a good nights sleep the night before a test or large project. Don’t pull an all-nighter because it doesn’t really work. Instead get up early and study. Making sure you sleep well the night before will make you feel better, be more confident, and prepare you to take on the day. Worrying the night before won’t make anything better. Go to sleep early and make a plan for the next morning to be prepared the best you can.

Take a trip home

If you live a reasonable distance from your hometown, take a trip home for the weekend. Hang out with your family to relax and sleep in your own bed. Getting away from campus and going home can feel like a mini-vacation. It gives you a reason to get your homework done earlier and unwind before the next week. Going home can be just what you need when you are stressed out at school. Just make sure you have time to be home without worrying about assignments due in the future.

Colleen E Kelly

Illinois State '19

Hi I'm Colleen! Senior Communication major at Illinois State University, I love HC because it empowers women to promote women of all kinds. Follow me on social media to keep up with my articles! Insta/Twitter: @ColleenKelly97
Contributor account for Illinois State