Wellness > Mental Health

Exercise and Mental Health: 4 Mental Benefits of Moving your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Did you know that doing sports positively affects your mental health? It allows you not only to boost your physical health, but there are so many benefits on your mind!

While In Japan, 10 October is known as sports and health day, which is a national holiday dedicated to promoting a love of sports, exercise, and better health, this day is also known to the world as World Mental Health Day, raising awareness and support for mental health issues around the world.

To celebrate the Japanese national holiday and honor World Mental Health Day, here are 3 positive, amazing and beneficial effects of sports on your mental health.

1. Help reduce stress

Sports help you manage your stress. When you exercise, your body produces endorphins, a natural mood booster that can moderate your anxiety and depression. Studies show that 20-30 minutes of daily exercise are more likely to have lower stress rates and feel more at ease compared to those who are less active.

2. Improve your mood

Being physically active can increase your positivity and lower the possibility of depression and anxiety, which will guide you to a balanced and better lifestyle. After you focus on the moments of moving your body, you will definitely feel better and accomplished. It might be beneficial for you to put the habit of doing exercise for just 20 minutes into your lifestyle! This habit will motivate you to spend more time with a good mood!

3. Increase your self-esteem

Self-esteem is a very important element in an individual’s overall well-being. As another benefits of exercise, boosting self-esteem will be included. Exercising makes it possible for you to feel more comfortable with yourself and increase self-love. Studies have shown that physical activity, directly and indirectly, affects self-esteem. One of the most outstanding ways exercise can improve your self-esteem is by making you look better, promote weight loss and muscular toning. However, please remember that exercising is not just for your appearance! Of course, it is important for you to love the body you have!

4 Start feeling better!

While in the short-term, exercising allows you to enhance the mood and impact the mind by adopting more positive thoughts, in the long term, physical exercise improves our confidence by making us feel good and accomplished about developing skills and abilities. Spending time exercising 150 to 300 minutes per week at a moderately intense level for an overall feeling of well-being is desirable, according to the  Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. Combining strength training like cardio and flexibility-building disciplines like yoga will be the best way for you to all over the approach to fitness!! By keep it doing this, you will probably feel confident in your consistency and improvement of your body flexibility and skills!

Being physically active cam improve your mood, less chance of anxious feeling and lead to mental well-being! 

Since the weather feels like fall is around the corner, it will be the best time for you to challenge new sports, running through the autumn leaves and enjyoing moving your body!