This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

With all the chaos and confusion during freshman year, maintaining your weight can be difficult. With assignments and demanding classes, eating the healthiest options may be the last thing on your mind. We’ve all had that moment where the only thing in the fridge worth eating is a pint of vanilla ice cream. Although avoiding the freshman fifteen may seem challenging, it’s not impossible. Here are three tips to help both freshmen and upperclassmen stay away from gaining major weight!

Plan a healthy diet and stick to it

When I say plan a diet, that doesn’t mean taking away everything you love and replacing it with meal supplements. Just know your limits and what you need and don’t need. Remember that less is more; try to take in sensible portions, eat every two and a half hours, take in more protein and less carbs, stay away from eating after eight o’clock pm, and drink tons of water. Always remember to make a diet that caters to you and not everyone else, as it’s something that you will have to follow through with.

Maintain a Workout Plan 

Try to stay active at least 4 days a week. You don’t have to go full force in the gym everyday, but at least take a walk around campus or use the stairs instead of the elevator. When you do have time for the gym, don’t always stick to your comfort zone (the bicycle for thirty minutes then leave). A good deal of cardio on the treadmill, stairmaster, or elliptical is what will really make a difference. Also, keep in mind that it won’t be easy, and you won’t see an immediate change. Yet, if you work hard and stay dedicated, those workout days will reveal themselves in due time.

Love your Body

Be nice to your body. Don’t be too hard on yourself. This isn’t a “get-fit-quick” scheme and everyone’s metabolisms work differently. Avoiding the freshman fifteen isn’t something that should be painful. It’s just a practice that will take heavy dedication and patience. Whenever you feel like binge eating thirteen McDonald’s cookies because it’s the only thing open at two o’clock in the morning, just eat two instead and save the rest for a rainy day. Never forget that if you’re nice to your body,  it will be nice to you.

Ashley Tate

Howard '22

Ashley Tate attends Howard University and is a Journalism major from Birmingham, Alabama. She finds that most of her best writing comes from quiet coffee shops and within the confines of her room. In her free time, Ashley can be found writing poetry, catching up on a good book, or updating her blog (https://ashapplied.wixsite.com/ashapplied).