This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

All college kids know the struggle of trying to get a good night’s sleep. Here are a few realistic ways to improve your nighttime routine as a college student.

Turn off blue light on your phone

Any nighttime routine worth its salt will tell you to avoid electronics at least one hour before bed because of the negative effects of blue light on your circadian rhythm. But, let’s be real, avoiding your phone or TV before bed can be difficult. As a compromise, turn off the blue light on your phone at least two hours before bed. You can change the setting on your iPhone to automatically do this every night at a certain time — just go to the display & brightness section of settings and turn on night shift.

Have a cup of herbal tea

There’s few things in life more soothing than a warm cup of herbal tea before bed. It will help you wind down and relax at the end of the day.

Meditate, Pray, or Journal

Taking time to connect with yourself and relax the mind is essential to a good night’s sleep. Whether this takes the form of meditation, prayer, reciting a mantra, or journaling, make sure to take a few quiet moments with your mind before bed to let go of the day.

Bridget is a Senior English major at Holy Cross. She likes books, yoga, Taylor Swift, feta cheese, and reality TV. When she grows up, she wants to be Miss Havisham or Jia Tolentino.