Wellness > Health

New Exercise Classes at the Jo? What You Need to Know!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Do you struggle with getting the motivation to go to the gym? I know I do sometimes. As busy college students, it’s hard to take the time out of your day to schedule a workout. However, the power of endorphins is real, and it is important to take care of your body for your own personal well being. Although gaining the motivation to go to the gym is hard, it is definitely easier when you sign up for a class where you are externally motivated by others around you. Therefore, the wide variety of new classes being offered at the Jo may be exactly what you need to get yourself up and moving. Juniors Hannah Delea and Maddie Kelly took it upon themselves to try out and review all of the new classes at the Jo, so you can find one that is right for you.

IR9oi4prxwVogbtywX4fN5oCsmERaX2 43 HkgIMyAsKtqGJr29VkQENLmHbyVoXT8QEpwRYsqTxQ JZre3KyHUA2 qt2PFnVJDj5h0dGGWu0CdAyAE LnpvPhfKYtLouPRiVv

Authors Hannah Delea (left) and Maddie Kelly (right) after a Rise and Grind class!

Class Descriptions:

Slow Flow Yoga

• When: Tuesday & Thursday morning, 7:30-8:30am 
  • Where: The Multipurpose room
  • Active Calories burned: 147
  • Difficulty: 2/10 
  • Description: This was very relaxing and was a great way to wake up and reset for the day. The class did not burn very many calories so I would recommend doing some light cardio or weights after.

Pump it up

• When: Wednesday afternoon, 3:45-4:30pm
  • Where: the Multipurpose room
  • Active Calories burned: 137
  • Difficulty: 4/10 
  • Description: This class was very fun with good energy. It was not too hard, with a mix of light cardio and weights, with fun partner exercises incorporated into the workout.

RISE AND GRIND

• When: Monday & Wednesday morning, 7:30-8:15am 
  • Where: Indoor turf
  • Active Calories burned: 200
  • Difficulty: 5/10
  • Description: This class differs every time, but is generally an intermediate HIIT workout. The class we went to consisted of a 1 minute body weight exercises that targeted the full body, with a lap around the track in between.

CYCLE FUSION

• When: Tuesday afternoon, 4:00-5:00pm
  • Where: Spin studio 
  • Active Calories burned: 450
  • Difficulty: 6/10
  • Description:  This class was an intermediate level. It includes 30 minutes on a spin bike and 20 minutes of functional strength training.

Pilates

• When: Monday afternoon 4-5pm
  • Where: Multipurpose Room
  • Active Calories burned: 200
  • Difficulty: 2/10
  • Description: This class was easy. It included small movements with various modifications at a slower pace.

Classes ranked from easiest to hardest:

1. Slow Flow Yoga and Pilates (easiest)
  2. Pump it up 
  3. Rise and Grind
  4. Cycle fusion (Hardest)

Overall, none of the classes are too hard so don’t be afraid to try them out if you are a beginner at the gym. On the other hand, if you’re an expert at the gym, and the classes seem to be too easy for you, you can always go and then add onto your workout after. Either way, definitely give these classes a try!

Madigan Kelly

Holy Cross '23

I am a psychology major and creative writing minor from Milton, MA. I love all things fashion, beauty, and media!
Hannah Delea

Holy Cross '23

Hannah Delea is a current junior at Holy Cross pursuing a degree in political science and a self designed interdisciplinary minor called "business, ethics, and society". She loves all things beauty and fashion, as well as health and fitness, which you can read more about in her articles.