This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Ever since returning to school from spring break I’ve had trouble falling asleep, blaming it on everything besides myself (pillows, mattress, temperature, etc.). Today I finally faced the facts and accepted that my habits are the result of my constant sleeping troubles. Melatonin has never really done it for me, so I’ve been looking into natural ways to help. Here are my favorites and those that seem the most beneficial to me:

Putting My Phone Down

Whenever I look at my phone before going to bed, all the exhaustion I’ve felt all day disappears and that makes it more difficult to fall asleep. I’m going to try to start putting my phone down and stop looking at screens in general 30 minutes-1 hour before I go to sleep.

Reading

As an alternative to going on my phone, I’m going to start reading right before bed. Whether it’s an article for a class or a book of my own choice, this has always helped me relax and makes me tired, quickly.

Sleepytime Tea

Drinking sleepytime tea is the perfect complement to reading before bed. Chamomile tea has been proven to induce sleep and there are many herbal teas out there that are known to help you relax. Any of these could be good options!

Working Out In The Morning

Working out boosts endorphins, which produces activity in the brain and makes it harder to fall asleep. Getting a workout in the morning also gives you time to be productive during the day, enabling you to have more time to prepare for a good nights’ sleep when the time comes.

Breathing exercises

My favorite breathing exercise for trying to fall asleep is called box breathing. This is when you inhale a breath for four counts, hold the inhale for four counts, exhale for four counts, then hold the exhale for four counts, and repeat this cycle as many times as you need to. It’s proven to bring balance to the mind and body, regulate your natural rhythm of breathing, and is effective in dealing with stress, anxiety, and anger.

Bridget O'Toole

Holy Cross '26

Hi! I am a sophomore at Holy Cross and am majoring in English and minoring in Architectural Studies. I'm from Long Island, New York, and my favorite things include skiing, reading, yoga, and the beach!