This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

It is no secret that the food industry in America is highly processed and made of lower quality ingredients than other places such as France. A way to be aware of what is going into your body is if you can make what you eat so that there are no preservatives or unwanted chemicals. Here are three common food items that are used daily.

One condiment in most people’s fridges for sandwiches, dips, and to add a little tastiness to recipes is Mayo. Store bought Mayo is very processed and I don’t know about anyone else, but the fact that it is able to be kept in a jar at room temperature until it is opened freaks me out. However, I still continue to use it because it is easier than making it at home, my new year’s resolution is to at least try to weed out anything overly processed. It is actually so simple to make! All you need is one egg, 1 cup of olive oil (or coconut or avocado), 1 teaspoon of vinegar, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt. Mix this all together either by hand or with a machine and your homemade Mayo is ready to go!

A fan favorite dessert, or breakfast item is nutella and even though this one is more difficult to make at home, it would be a fun way to deliciously make and get rid of one more processed item. For this you need to take 5 cups hazelnuts, ¼ – ⅓ cup powdered sugar depending on sweetness preference, ½ cup cacao powder, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Roast hazelnuts until golden at 425 fahrenheit for 10 minutes, if they have skins rub them off with a towel before adding to the blender, blend until completely smooth, and once it is smooth add in the rest of the ingredients. This is a recipe I am so excited to try!

A basic necessity: bread. I do not have a bread maker, but good thing there is a homemade no knead recipe! Mix together 3 cups plain flour, 2 teaspoon instant yeast and 2 teaspoon salt, 1.5 cups of warm water, cover and let it rise for two to three hours, put the dough onto a board with flour and form a ball, put it onto wax paper and in a oven safe pot and cover for 30 minutes in a preheated cast iron pot at 230 celsius, and then bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until golden/crispy. I want to make this all the time and have fresh bread that I can eat knowing all the ingredients that are put into it.

I can’t wait to start eating clean food where I know what is actually in them. The way we eat affects our hormones, attitude, and lifestyle with our energy levels. This is one way to start seeing how your diet can improve by removing some of the processed foods.

Colette Offermann

Holy Cross '23

Colette is currently pursuing an English major and minoring in Studio Art and Social Ethics and Business at Holy Cross. On her free days she loves to paint abstract works, try out new recipes, play tennis, go to wine tastings, and experience new activities within her community such as new restaurants and boutiques.