This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I know that running isn’t for everyone, but I firmly believe that everyone can become a runner! Watching so many people cross the finish line of the NYC Marathon this weekend prompted me to think about all the ways in which the sport has improved my life. 

I first began running track in high school to keep myself in shape for the spring lacrosse season. I was never one who loved long runs, and my strengths definitely lied in shorter sprints and relays. It wasn’t until I came to college that I started expanding my mileage. I wasn’t necessarily running as fast as I could in high school, but I steadily built up my stamina to begin running longer distances.

So, my first piece of advice would be to start slow! Walking on an incline or slowly jogging will allow you to slowly increase your pace and mileage. A killer playlist definitely helps with this step. I love listening to upbeat music (think Galantis, Two Friends, etc.) while I run to get me in a good headspace. 

Although I definitely prefer running outside (at least while the weather is still relatively nice), the treadmill is also a great place to start. I find that I have more control over my pace when I don’t have to conform to the regimented speed of the treadmill, but I also think that interval running (alternating between sprinting and jogging) is much easier on a treadmill because the speed settings are so precise.

I’ve found that most of running is mental. If I go into a run with the mindset that I won’t feel great, then I usually don’t. To help with this, I try to enjoy my runs as a part of self-care. Putting on my favorite leggings or sneakers and pumping myself up with great songs helps running feel more like a therapeutic exercise than a chore. 

The mental benefits of running are also undeniable. That runner’s high that everyone always raves about? It’s definitely a real thing. If I’m feeling stressed or having a tough day, even just thirty minutes of running will lift my spirits exponentially. Getting a good sweat in always helps to relieve tension, but running in particular allows for a special kind of emotional release. When all I have to focus on is putting one foot in front of the other, all of my other worries are able to melt away. 

Another helpful tip I’ve found to motivate this hobby is running for a good cause. I always track my runs with an app called Charity Miles which allows users to convert their mileage to donations. Using an app like this, or even fundraising for a race, allows for motivation outside of the self. Sometimes all that we need is a little push to get us started. 

Caroline Sullivan

Holy Cross '23

A Lover of books, coffee, and style from Long Island, New York!