Wellness > Health

Health Comes in All Shapes and Sizes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

A few months ago, I was the healthiest I’d ever been. I was lifting the heaviest, running the most, doing yoga, eating healthy, and getting adequate sleep, and the scale often reassured me of these things. My weight was steady (with a comfortable five-pound fluctuation), and I was pleased with how I looked, though I knew I would never be satisfied or confident enough to wear tight jeans and a crop top without a jacket to cover me. 

Growing up, I was always active. I played sports for as long as I can remember, and I have continued playing at college. The catch for me, though, was that I was never thin like the actors I saw on tv or scrolling through instagram. From a young age, I knew I didn’t look like them. I wanted to. But I didn’t. 

Although I have not fully accepted my body for how I look, I always feel my best when I am active. This past semester, I participated in the Washington Semester Away Program at Holy Cross. I had my first 9 to 5 job (internship…), sitting behind a desk for 8.5 hours, meaning my only form of exercise (most days) being the walk to and from the metro. From this experience, I cannot shy away from admitting that a sedentary life does take a toll on you, both mentally and physically. 

I tried my hardest to make it to the gym after work, class, the thesis, making my own meals, cleaning my apartment, etc, and quickly learned that being an adult is a lot harder than it seems. I lost sight of my fitness, and with that, my confidence. 

However, now that I am back home, I have started to fall back into my old ways: going to the gym, practicing hot yoga, going on walks, eating healthy and whole foods, and just overall moving my body. I am starting to feel better, but as everyone knows, this process doesn’t happen overnight. I have always been a healthy person. I often have to remind myself that health comes in all shapes and sizes. The number on the scale is not what it once used to be, but I am working towards feeling my best rather than feeling satisfaction from a smaller number on the scale.

Missy Caiola

Holy Cross '23

Missy Caiola is a junior Political Science Major and a Division I Athlete on the Women's Tennis team at Holy Cross! She also plans to minor in Rhetoric and Composition. When not playing tennis or studying Political Science, she enjoys relaxing with family and friends, shopping, going to the beach, and reading!