Wellness > Health

Debunking the Stigma Around Planned Parenthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Women’s rights are human rights. Simple as that. One would think that this argument would not still be prevalent in 2021, yet here we are. The two events that have recently brought this to the forefront of society is the new Texas abortion laws as well as New Hampshire’s senate defunding Planned Parenthood. These two events took place on opposite sides of the country and in two drastically different political climates, yet they are attacking the same rights. These policy changes may be different but they have at least one thing in common: stripping women of their rights through controlling their bodies.

The Texas abortion laws are tightening the rules about when women are allowed to get abortions and those who can be charged for breaking these rules. I could talk about the issues with these laws for hours, but I find this topic to be a better conversation than article. Abortion is a complex topic, with valid arguments on both sides, therefore having civil dicourse about it is often the best option. 

On the other hand, I feel strongly that discussing Planned Parenthood can debunk the stigma around it. The words “Planned Parenthood” often are association with the word abortion. People automatically assume that this place is one to give out “abortion pills” and is truly doing the devil’s work. This notion is extremely false and honestly harmful to this facility that provides affordable healthcare to a wide range of people. Planned Parenthood provides services for both men and women; anywhere from OBGYN appointments to physicals to prescribing medications to STD testing. These options are available to anyone, whether or not one has a specific insurance. These facilities are often in underprivileged areas where people do not always have access to these services otherwise.

By tying a negative connotation to this place, it eliminates the opportunity for people to utilize these services. If many people are speaking poorly of an institution, whether they are educated or not, can influence others opinions. People need to do their own research about these things in order to be properly informed. I think that if more people took the time to research Planned Parenthood, and all the populations they assist, I think more people would support them. 

Planned Parenthood is a familiar name to most people which is why I wanted to debunk the stigma. I believe that defunding organizations like this is a direct attack on affordable healthcare. America is one of the most advanced countries in the world, yet the majority of our population does not have access to healthcare, or more specifically affordable healthcare. This problem spans much further than just reproductive health and needs to be talked about more. Opening the conversation up is the best way to spread awareness as well as hear other opinions on the topic. Healthcare should not be an impossible goal for citizens of an advanced country.

Alissandra Conlon

Holy Cross '24

Sophomore majoring in chemistry with a studio art minor. Outside of the classroom you can find me hanging out with my friends, in the dance studio, or out to dinner.