summer girl hawaii yoga hiking exercise view high res version
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

10 Ways to Romanticize Your Life During a Global Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Last week I touched upon the importance of staying optimistic during a global pandemic, and I hope that some of what I said stuck with you all. But this week I am bringing you a comprehensive list of different ways you can try to glamorize your life even if it seems impossible. Hopefully these ideas bring some positivity into your daily quarantine routine and inspire you to continue staying positive!  

Make some time for exercise

While I am definitely not the most athletic girl in the world, something I’ve noticed is that dedicating some time to physical activity every day (or week, if you’re pretty busy like myself) is a crucial reminder that you don’t need to be kept up in your house all day. It’s also important to pick something that you enjoy doing, so that it keeps you motivated to continue doing it! Whether it be walking your dog for 15 minutes every day or pushing through a Chloe Ting workout video, finding a way to stay active has amazing mental and physical benefits. 

Plan or research trips for post-pandemic times

Of course, we don’t know exactly when the pandemic is going to subside, but there is no harm in staying optimistic and planning hypothetical trips! One thing this pandemic has definitely taught me is that nothing is permanent, and life can change with the blink of an eye. So, why not make the most of it? Is there somewhere you’ve always dreamed of going? Plan it out, and then when it is safe to travel again, you can easily book it and go! 

Pick up a new hobby 

As basic as this one may sound, it honestly got me through most of quarantine. Is there something you’ve always wanted to try but never had time for pre-pandemic? Painting? Embroidery? Upcycling? Reading? Whatever it may be, finding a new interest can honestly reap great benefits later on. At least for me, I picked up digital art and graphic design during the pandemic, and I ended up loving it so much that I am now considering graphic design as a potential career choice post-grad! You never know what you’ll discover when you try something new!

Spend meaningful (and safe!) times with your friends

While we are still in the middle of a global pandemic, it is completely normal to want to reconnect with your close friends. Finding time to catch up with your close friends definitely reminds us that we are not as alone during this difficult time, and that everyone is dealing with it in their own way. Setting up a weekly zoom call with your girlfriends can be the best way to end a hard week. And if you all are safe and social distancing, you can even meet in person. Just be sure to stay safe and remember that we are still in a pandemic.

Participate in some much-needed retail therapy

If you are anything like me, it is impossible to keep from buying the cutest new arrivals from your favorite stores. Especially when in-person shopping was non-existent earlier this year, I constantly found that shopping for post-pandemic events kept me optimistic and excited. I mean, who wouldn’t get excited over a cute new pair of jeans or shoes?  

Perfect your favorite home-cooked meals

If you are living with your family or others, quarantine might be a good time to whip up some of your favorites in the kitchen. Do you have a favorite meal that your mom used to make when you were younger? Set up a FaceTime with her and have her teach you! Another fun idea could be having each of your roommates cook dinner one night with their favorite family dish. While ordering takeout every night obviously seems like a convincing choice, sometimes having a home-cooked meal is the perfect thing to remind us of good times. 

Spice up your living space with some redecorating

If you’re going to be stuck at home for a while, you might as well invest in some new décor to keep your space fresh and perfect for you! Maybe invest in a cozy new throw blanket for all those movie night marathons! Or buy yourself some string lights to give your bedroom a cozy, soft feel. Something I did during quarantine was get a bunch of photos developed at my local Walgreens and put them all over my wall. All the photos of me with friends and family wake me up with a smile every morning.  

Research and inform yourself on topics important to you (and make a voting plan!)

As we all know, election season is right around the corner, and we have some important  decisions to make for our country. Research your state’s candidates and our presidential candidates and their views on issues important to you. And make a plan for voting!! With the pandemic completely changing the usual course of how our elections take place, it is so important to make sure you set up a plan so that you can do your part in influencing our country’s future. 

Reconnect with your childhood

Do you still have some old board games sitting in your basement? Were you really good at Wii Mario Kart when you were younger? Why not try and whip those out for a little bit? My family always had so many board game nights when we were in quarantine, and my sister and I regained our Just Dance skills from when we were younger. Sometimes, reminding yourself of how simple your past was can be the perfect way to distract yourself from the craziness of life right now.  

Stay optimistic

Obviously, last but not least, remind yourself that things will get better. Like I mentioned in my last article, this isn’t permanent. Hopefully these ideas inspire you to look at the brighter side of this pandemic and influence you to try something new and focus on you!

Cassie Smith is a current Psychology major with a minor in Rhetoric & Composition at Holy Cross. When she'd not spending her time working for HerCampus, she's catching up with friends, graphic designing on her iPad, or perfectly organizing her Pinterest boards and Spotify playlists.