Your Guide to Heirloom Vegetables

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The word “heirloom” means something that has been in one family for several generations. It’s basically the same with vegetables; they are considered old-fashioned seeds and plants. It’s also not just vegetables; heirlooms exist in fruits and flowers too. Some people consider heirlooms to have been grown over an extended period of time. Others say heirloom veggies are only heirlooms if they were passed down in one family. Heirloom vegetables are always open-pollinated, yielding a “true breed” so to speak.

There are multiple reasons these vegetables are becoming more popular. Cooking with heirlooms gives your food a superior flavor and they contain a high nutritional content. Not to mention heirloom vegetables look unique and colorful. They aren’t genetically modified and uniform like vegetables we see in the supermarket. Heirlooms are all about variety, texture, richness, and flavor.

Many farmers are saving their seeds and reusing them to save money. Heirloom tomatoes might be the most popular in recent recipes, but there are a variety of heirloom seeds from pumpkins, beans, and greens. But, heirloom gardening can be tricky. The process of harvesting, drying, and properly saving the seeds to be reused is extensive. Make sure not to harvest before the crop is ripe. You can tell if the harvest is ready if the seeds are harder. Drying out the seeds to be re-planted can take two-three weeks. It’s a long process, but worth it to get quality heritage veggies with great flavor.

You can find tons of heirloom tomato recipes alone on Google. Here are a couple of cool and different heirloom recipes to try on your own:

Grilled Heirloom Tomato and Goat Cheese Pizza

Heirloom Carrot Spoon Cake

Heirloom Beans

I am an aspiring journalist studying at Hofstra University. My interests include, fashion, techno, and travel. Dirty chai is my favorite. I'm obsessed with red wine. And vegan ice cream is where it's at. xx
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.