Woman Crush Wednesday: Sydney Kenton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Her Campus Hofstra has ambitious and talented women, so let’s meet them!

Up this week, we have Sydney Kenton!

This is a photo of Sydney Kenton, and I am using it for the Women Crush Wednesday Blog
Original photo by Sydney Kenton

Pronouns: She/Her

Major: Drama

Minor: Musical Theatre

Hometown: Wilmington, Delaware

Member Since: September 2020

Why did you join Her Campus?

• “I’ve always enjoyed writing. It’s never really been the focal point of something I wanted to do career-wise. I’ve just always enjoyed writing for school and for various classes. I’ve been really trying to focus on getting back in touch with the hobbies I enjoy. I’ve gotten back into art because I used to do that a lot, and one of the other things was writing, so I thought joining Her Campus would be a really great way to explore that and have more freedom to write that I never really had in classes.”

What article are you looking forward to writing for Her Campus?

• “I like to write about queer topics. I have on coming up at the end of October that’s about lesbian visibility. I want to explore veganism and vegetarianism in my writing because I was raised pescetarian. I never had regular meat except for fish, so I’m a pretty good consultant on the project. I also like writing about current events, opinions and personal essays.”

Toni Reed Udggq3Ml
Toni Reed / Unsplash

Can you go into more depth about Pescetarianism?

• “My parents are very hippie white people. My dad is very into health and what he puts into his body, so he raised us pescetarian because he doesn’t really agree with the way a lot of animals are treated ethically and the meat industry and the condition of the meat when it comes packaged. There is a lot of chemicals. There is a lot of treatment that’s done to it – just a lot of nasty stuff he didn’t want us to eat growing up, so it was mostly fish. Nowadays, I’m very into sushi. I still keep up with pescetarianism because I don’t know what eating chicken is gonna be like after 19 years of not eating it.”

What do you miss about high school?

• “So, I went to an all-girls Catholic High School, which might seem a little scary. Something I really enjoyed about that was since we were small and we were in a small building, we had a really tight sense of community. I kind of miss it because on any college campus, things are spread out and people are divided by their majors. So, I miss being somewhat close to everyone I went to high school with. It’s something I don’t have anymore.”

Which of your personality traits has been the most useful to you?

• “I’m a very creative person. I’m very good at rolling with the punches and thinking on my feet creatively. I like coming up with fun presentation ideas for classes where it’s not necessarily needed because it just makes me happy to come up fun ,weird things to do to keep me entertained.”

What’s the one thing that people always misunderstand about you?

• “I think a lot of people are almost scared of me because I’m 5’10 and I kind of have a deep, scary voice. So, I think I can come off kind of scary, but I’m also kind of quiet at first and people don’t really realize it’s not me being like, ‘I’m watching you.’ It’s more so I’m a watcher at first during social situations before I jump in and interact with people. I’m actually someone who overthinks and who’s also anxious all the time, but a lot of people see me as this big, tall, scary lady.”

What would an amusement park filled with your biggest fears be like? What rides would it have?

• “I’m someone who’s scared of the dentist, kind of. I just don’t like the drills, I don’t like the noises and I have had a lot of teeth problems over the years. So, it’ll probably be a ride with a lot of dental drills.”

What is your morning skincare routine, step-by-step?

• “Okay, y’all are gonna hate me, the people who read this article are gonna hate me. I’m someone who has naturally nice skin. I am very lucky. But, I just use face wash in the morning and go on my way.

What do you like to do that is traditionally considered “masculine?”

• “I grew up playing a lot of sports. My sisters and I are like, quote-on-quote, the sons my dad never had. So, I kind of grew up doing a lot of masculine stuff. I tried a lot of sports. I did a lot of science and math – I guess that can be considered masculine in a stereotypical way. It came from a place where my parents didn’t want to raise me as a stereotypical thought of a girl. It was more of, ‘Our kids are gonna be smart. Our kids are gonna know how to fight and how to be strong.’ So, I always had more masculine influences in my life, and now that I’m older, I definitely I like more masculine clothes, maybe it’s because I’m a lesbian, I don’t know. I like androgynous style. Gender is a social construct, so I cross into the masculine in a lot of aesthetic ways.”

What inedible thing do you wish you could eat?

• “Polly Pocket rubber clothes.”

If you could change your first name, what would be the most epic name you could choose?

• “Seven.”

What’s the most unpleasant sounding word?

• “Floam.”

What is your go-to drink from a cafe?

• “Bobba.”

Zahirah is a Freshie at Hofstra University studying Journalism and double minoring in Political Science and Rhetorical Studies. She plans on becoming a news reporter for CNN, she wants to keep you on top of what's going on in the world while also putting the conservatives in their place. She plans on living in Manhattan after college and opening up her own cafe. She likes to volunteer, write to her pen-pal in London, and drink any form of caffeine. : )