Why You Should Read the Hofstra Chronicle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I am not the first to comment that we live in an amazing time, one where we are basically spoiled with information. You may wonder about the necessity of reading the college newspaper, if you think about it at all. You may wonder why you need yet another news source when headline after headline pours into your phone on a daily basis. I am biased due to my involvement with the college newspaper, but to me the answer is simple: reading the Hofstra Chronicle will only improve your life through the invaluable, exclusive information it provides.

I know that, personally, I am overwhelmed by the sheer volume of events that occur at Hofstra University. Between the illustrious speakers that visit the school and the numerous club and sports events, I can’t keep track of all that interests me. But the Chronicle works to cover many of these events, so even if I miss something I care about, I know I can still read a concise take of the event, complete with student quotes describing their opinions of it. 

The Chronicle also offers more than just the daily goings on of the University, namely investigative journalism that keeps the University safe and accountable. Whether the writers are investigating the latest hazing scandal or the mold problem in the dorms, you can expect an enlightening picture of the truthful, unvarnished side of student life. Such reporting helps the university community truly grow and improve.

Non-Hofstra specific articles are extremely valuable because they offer a student eye-view of the world. The more opinionated sections of the paper like Op-Ed and pop culture reviews can help you understand your peers better. Whether or not you share their views, you can gain a better understanding of your generation and what makes it tick. Perhaps you will understand yourself better as a result.

College is about branching out and embracing a community of peers. Reading the Hofstra Chronicle is a great step in achieving this desired community. It will help you to truly get your finger on the pulse of Hofstra life, to really understand the school and your own place in it. If such community is neglected, then it’s back to our own little smartphone-bubbles, a lonely place if I ever saw one.

All pictures courtesy of Audra Nemirow.