This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Whether you’re ready or not, classes have started. We have to say goodbye to sunglasses and beach bags and hello to headphones and backpacks. Jumping right into a new semester can be stressful and overwhelming, but not if you know how to equip yourself properly. Here are the items that you will find in my school bag from school supplies to everyday necessities.

In order to be ready for my actual classes, I carry the following:

• My laptop: I never go anywhere without it
  • Notebooks: Some professors don’t allow technology in class, so I have these for backup
  • Folders: For my important papers
  • Pencils: This is an obvious one
  • Pens: In case I forget a pencil

As you can see, I’m usually over-prepared, but better safe than sorry.

Photo courtesy of Claire Blaha

To ensure that I am able to make it through the day, I also pack:

• A Water Bottle: Hydration is important
  • Gum: Always a must have
  • Lip Balm: No one likes chapped lips, especially me
  • My Keys and ID: If I forget these it might just ruin my day
  • A Snack: I don’t know if I would make it through the day without a little something to eat
  • Target Brand Oil-Absorbing Sheets: I tend to have oily skin, so I like to think ahead
  • Headphones: I think this should be a no brainer for every college student
  • My Wallet: You know, just in case
  • A Scrunchie: Everyone has bad hair days, so you might want some back up

Photo courtesy of Claire Blaha

This may seem like a lot of stuff, but I promise I used all of these items last semester, and I made it through without stressing about forgetting anything because it was all right in my bag. I think you will find that everything on my list has a purpose. I might not use everything every day, but I’m always prepared. With the semester just starting up, make sure you have everything you need to succeed.

I am currently a Journalism Major at Hofstra University with a minor in Creative Writing. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA, and my dream is to work for a fashion magazine in New York City (basically I want a life like "The Devil Wears Prada"). My interests include fashion, binge watching movies illegally on the internet, and working out every other week or so.