Wellness

Self-Care Tips to Deal with the Seasonal Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The transition from late fall to winter is very difficult for some people. As the months get colder and summer slips away, some feel the turning of the season harder than others. Here are some self-care tips to help you feel warm and cozy – physically and mentally – as it gets colder!

1. Meditation 

Taking a few moments of mindfulness during the practice of meditation is a really simple way to start your self-healing journey. Anyone can meditate in their room, car, etc. and there are countless meditation routines for different situations available for free on YouTube. Taking even just a few moments a day to reflect and connect your body and mind can help you get through the colder months. 

1. Coloring

It might seem elementary, but coloring can be extremely therapeutic for people, especially in helping them relax and calm down. Download a color by numbers app, or print out a fall themed coloring book, get some colored pencils, put on your favorite album or TV show, and color away!

1. Take a hot shower with your favorite music blasting 

It can seem impossible to warm up after walking home from class on the first few really chilly days of fall. One way to combat this is to take a “self-care” shower. Get your favorite hair products, soaps, scrubs; all of the works. Make your bathroom a sauna, and blast your favorite sing-along tracks. You’re guaranteed to feel at least a little bit better after you warm up and scrub everything from the day off. 

1. Soak in the remaining sunlight! 

It can be really dampening on your mood when the sun starts to set at five PM. It can feel like you’re losing the day, and that every day is wasted. On days when it’s warm enough, it can feel really good to just sit and bathe in the sun. Vitamin C is important, even in the colder months!

1. Don’t close yourself off; turn to your friends

When you’re feeling down and just not in it, it can be really tempting to shut out all of your friends and loved ones, because you don’t want to feel like you’re transmitting that sadness onto them. In reality, it just doesn’t work that way. Take time to yourself when you need it, but don’t be afraid to lean on your friends. Sometimes even just sitting in the same room as someone you love can make you feel loads better. 

1. Aromatherapy 

One of the best things about fall is the smells. The smells of apple cider, pumpkin pastries, crunchy leaves all mixed with authium-spices are extremely nostalgic and something that everyone can relate to. Although it can sometimes be dreadful and scary when it starts to get colder and darker, cherishing the positive smells and using them as a coping mechanism can be really helpful. 

1. Creative outlet 

This time of the year, especially with midterms, can be extremely stressful. When you’re filled with stress, it can be hard to find a way to channel and release it. One of the best ways to combat your stress is to direct all of it into a creative outlet. Whether that be music, baking, poetry, lego building – whatever makes you happy! Sometimes the best creations come from a place of stress, and channeling your stress into something creative is a great way to deal with it. 

1. Drink water! 

In the colder months, it can be harder to remember to drink water, as hot chocolate, hot cider, and tea take over. Since it’s not as hot, you might not feel as dehydrated as you might in the summer, and your water intake might fluctuate due to that. But drinking enough water is just as important in forty degree weather as it is in ninety-five degree weather. When you drink enough water, you might notice a positive impact on how you feel. 

1. Develop a hydrating skincare routine

As the months get colder and drier, your skin might be feeling it the most. It’s easier to not be as consistent in a skincare routine in the summer as it’s usually always humid and hot; your skin might not be as dry. But suddenly it’s 47 degrees and windy and your face feels stiffer than a wooden plank. Developing a hydrating, rejuvenating skincare routine as it gets colder can completely change your fall and winter. 

IMG 3168?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Photo by Maeve Reilly
  1. Cozy up with a feel-good book

Since everyone is inside more as the weather gets colder, it can be extremely easy to just be on your phone or watching TV all day. Having 24/7 hours of screen time can be extremely harmful. One way to keep your brain stimulated with a story or learning topic is to cozy up in bed with a feel-good book. What a “feel-good” book looks like can differ from person to person. For you, it might be a romance or fantasy novel, or a book about economics. Whatever makes you feel peace and serene. 

Overall, whatever you’re feeling during this time of year is valid. You’re allowed to take things at your own pace. Don’t feel guilty about your feelings!

Meaghan Penney is a current sophomore at Hofstra University. She is a Music Business major with a minor in Drama. She is interested in everything music and pop culture, and has a passion for opinion writing.