Wellness

Self Care Sunday’s: How to Really Enjoy Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Can you hear that? That’s Thanksgiving Break calling, and it’s leaving you voicemails saying it’s just as excited as you are. 

What we’re not gonna do is talk about the long stack of assignments we still have to finish (I cried a little just writing that sentence). That is absolutely what we are not going to do. 

What we ARE gonna do instead, is shift this energy away from the assignment to-do lists and move it towards travel to-do lists. If you’re not traveling this thanksgiving, no worries- these are still fun things you can do, even if you’re sticking with a staycation this year. 

When I say travel to-do list I don’t mean the normal things you do when traveling, like packing a suitcase. Still please do those things, everyone should come to vacation prepared with clothes, if nothing else. I mean the things people don’t really think about and don’t necessarily have time to fit into their busy schedules otherwise. 

Try Changing Up Your Look

Hair is something I haven’t really touched on with you guys yet, but a person’s hair can be a really vital factor in the journey to recharging on a break or vacation. A lot of people utilize their hair as a representation of them. Chances are, in the midst of how crazy life can get with both your professional and social endeavors, your hair routine has fallen to the wayside. Use this time to give it some extra attention. Get that haircut you’ve been pondering, or actually act on the saved photos in your phone of the colors you’ve been wanting to experiment with, whatever your hair prerogative is!

Get A Manicure

Speaking of color, isn’t it about time you bring some color back to those fingertips? Let’s be honest, getting a manicure or a pedicure can sometimes be time-consuming (though totally worth it). If you’ve been wanting to tend to your neglected nails for a while now, but can just never find the time, Thanksgiving break is knocking on your door saying there are no more excuses. I promise you can find the time, even if you plan on doing homework (so not manifesting this for you by the way). Not sure what to do with your nails? Try a theme, like maybe matching the season, or if you plan on going somewhere over break maybe make it align with that just to get yourself in the mood for your plans.

Finish that book (or whatever that hobby is for you)

Sometimes when we’re working hard on assignments, our internships, or our classes, it can feel like that’s all that we are. Here’s a (not so gentle) reminder that you are more than your work! Finish that book is a sentence that can translate to all hobbies. Even if it’s only for twenty minutes a day over break, do something besides work that will genuinely make you happy. If you don’t know what that side passion is for you, now’s the perfect time to discover it. Or you can even re-discover why you loved something. Get your dusters out and dust off that book that’s been sitting on your desk for weeks, or even months, or whatever that dormant hobby of yours is. 

Buy some new clothes/ products

While you’re doing a little soul searching, who said the process can’t be helped by a little retail therapy? There’s nothing like taking a break or going on vacation and feeling inspired to indulge yourself in some new items. Run, do not walk, to your closest mall. Sometimes enjoying something is all about an attitude adjustment, and boy do we need to adjust our attitude after being bogged down by assignments for months. So don’t hesitate to gas yourself up by trying on some new clothes or testing out some new products. New clothes- new you. Okay but seriously where is my marketing contract from a department store.

all around pamper

I know what you’re thinking, pamper can literally mean anything. Everything we have been talking about can be a form of pampering yourself. In this case, I want to talk about specifically pampering your body. If you’ve been stuck taking quick showers in between meetings, now is your time for your shower Spotify playlist to shine. Use a body scrub, lather your hair in a hair mask, take the time to really shave (yes it is possible to shave above the knee once in a while), the possibilities are endless! The hot water maybe not so much….

Thanksgiving break is just that, a BREAK. Step away from the desk, close the laptop, and do exactly as I lay out in the blog so you can come back to your regularly scheduled program stronger than ever. 

Kaitlyn Bancroft is a junior at Hofstra University in New York, following her passion to become a journalist. She enjoys eating chipotle and binge-watching as she procrastinates on assignments.