Nessa Barrett’s New Album and It’s Deep Dive into Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

After beginning her career as a social media star and moving to Los Angeles, California in 2020, Nessa Barrett has taken the music industry by storm. The 20-year-old singer-songwriter debuted her first Album “young forever” on October 14. Barrett began her music career in 2020, when she released her first single “Pain,” followed by “If you love me” and “La Di Die,” featuring fellow breakout star Jaden Hossler. Barrett is one of the few TikTok stars to successfully take her music career to such heights. 

Instead of glamorizing the LA lifestyle through her music, Barrett allows her audience to take a look into her personal diary, delving into vulnerable topics such as faith, relationships, self perception, mental health and more. Her Debut album, “young forever” explores vulnerability with titles such as “dear god”, “die first ”, “madhouse” and “talk to myself.” Barrett doesn’t shy away from sharing her truth. She gives fans a gaze into the shattered mirror she is constantly looking into. The dark pop star shares the struggles of being a young adult, coming of age in a fractured world and opens up about her mental health through song. 

Nessa Barrett utilized the fourteen month writing period of this album as therapy. Barrett turns her pain into purpose and has shared throughout all her social media platforms her highs and lows. Her album opens up with “tired of california,” a song that proves even sunny Los Angeles, California has a dark side. Los Angeles is where the entertainment industry booms, but “tired of california” captures the feeling of those working in the industry, the feeling of being trapped. The single “tired of california” was released on Oct. 7, a week before her album. The hit single uncovers the emotional distress that comes along with fame, especially when you are a young artist like Nessa Barrett. She beautifully incorporated a children’s choir singing “Can I be young, forever/Would it be fun forever.” Utilizing the children within the track’s bridge introduces the audience to the youthful innocence that is often taken away when you are in the spotlight of LA. 

The song “tired of california” came soon after Barrett’s release of “madhouse,” a song about taking control of your narrative. “madhouse”, breaks down Barrett’s feelings of being criticized for her honesty. She asks her audience to grab a seat and watch as she stars in her own “psychological thriller.” Though the entertainment industry runs on drama, Nessa Barrett takes her power back when she asks those who profit off her success and failures, “is it you or is it me?” Additionally on June 26, Barrett released “die first” in honor of her best friend, Cooper Noriega. “die first” is an extremely emotional lyrical masterpiece that shares the fear associated with losing a loved one. Barrett’s angel boy, Cooper Noriega, passed away on June 9, 2022. The social media star was just as vulnerable about his mental health struggles and spoke about it online. Cooper’s work and life reflected his goals to de-stigmatize addiction and provide mental health support. Days before his passing, he created a “Coop’s Advice” discord to help address mental health and addiction to help his fans, which is now being kept alive in his honor by Cooper’s friends and family.  

Following the sudden passing of Cooper Noriega, the release of “young forever” comes with a new meaning. She dedicated the album to her late friend. Her first album, although supposed to be a large accomplishment, has come with great sadness as her best friend was supposed to be here for it. Barrett concluded her thirteen song album with “lucky star,” a song that accepts the darkness. Barrett shared with Zach Sang of the “Zach Sang Show” a memory of singing Cooper to sleep with the song “lucky star.” Her album explores finding herself and searching for faith as she has constantly been fighting to stay alive.

Surviving your own mental health while working to appeal to the entire world comes with a lot of weight. Barrett’s album continues down an emotional ride with titles including “love bombs,” “decay,” “forgive the world” and more. Mental health is an extremely important topic, one Barrett is often known to be vulnerable about. The TikTok star turned musician opened up about her borderline personality disorder, ocd, anxiety and depression not only within her music but to her fans on social media. She is not sharing the typical tale of the pop star who wants you to think her life is perfect. She openly talks about her issues with body image, drug abuse, therapy and work she has been doing with herself. In “dear god,” Barrett shares a look inside her struggle with faith, feeling as though God has abandoned her, and her idea of trying to get into heaven.  

Each song on the album stands apart. Between the rock production of “madhouse,” “too hot to cry” and “gaslight,” to the eerie tone of “love bombs” or “lucky star.” The song “young forever” is emotion filled and beautifully vulnerable. Barrett has managed to weaponize her suffering and create music that all those feeling the same, need. Although the album is about Barrett’s mental health journey, there is empowerment in giving your struggle a stage to speak truth. Her album “young forever” is evidence that Nessa Barrett is stronger than ever.

988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.

Isabella Cunha is a current Sophomore at Hofstra University studying Public Relations. She is from New Hampshire and is excited to see what's in store for her in New York!