nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Make-Up Monday: Behind the Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I haven’t been keeping up to date with my blog and I wish I had legitimate reasoning, but in all sincerity it’s because I have been perpetually overwhelmed. The prospect of a job terrifies me. I am so unprepared for life on my own. I constantly feel alone, even in a crowded room. I have this cloud of darkness looming behind me, constantly threatening to cripple me. My medication numbs the pain and normalizes me. I feel like the best version of myself. I am happy again. But if I skip even a day, the obsessive thoughts start again.

“You are worthless. You are not good enough. You are not deserving of love. You are alone.” The walls close in, I can’t breathe, I am drowning. Feeling so dependent on medication leaves me feeling helpless. Knowing that my life will be a constant struggle for normalcy is daunting. The fact that it seems that no one could ever understand this struggle without feeling concern and pity is isolating. I am taking steps to not just maintain a positive exterior to appease others but to develop a positive interior for myself. My hope is that by being transparent in my struggle with depression and anxiety I will negate the stigma associated with mental disorders and, if nothing else, help someone else feel a little bit less alone.

Danielle is currently a Public Relations major at Hofstra University with a minor in Drama. She is passionate about poetry, politics, and all things cosmetics-related. She is originally from Los Angeles, California and though she misses the sunny weather, she is loving New York. She also has a slight addiction to caffeine and good Mexican food.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!