danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Interning in the City: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Commute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Internships are one of the most important parts of your college education. They allow you the opportunity to take the skills you learn in the classroom and apply them in your actual field. Hofstra’s proximity to New York City opens up a wide range of opportunities for students to gain real-world experience.  

While NYC is just a train ride away, the commute can still prove to be difficult. The last thing you want is to dread going to your internship because of the commute. Here are some easy tips and tricks to make your internship commute more efficient and stress-free!

Know Your Travel Route

New York City is one of the largest and busiest cities in the world, so it can be very intimidating to find your way around, especially to parts of the city you have never been to before. My internship is currently in Brooklyn and I had never been to that part of the city before my first day. Luckily, we live in an age where you can simply press a couple of buttons and discover exactly where you need to go. Before you go into your internship, plan your exact travel route. Check out train and subway times and stations, street names, and even use the street view feature on Google Maps to become familiar with the area you are headed to. By at least having the general directions on how to get to the job, the easier your first commute will be. Don’t risk figuring out where to go on the first day. Good WiFi can be hard to find in the city, so map out your directions ahead of time!

Choose The Right Shoes

This may sound like a piece of advice from your mom, but you MUST wear a pair of comfy shoes! Even though your commute to and around the city is primarily by train or subway, you still have to walk! Don’t put yourself through the pain of wearing high heels all day long! Find yourself a comfortable, yet cute, pair of shoes that are guaranteed to keep you comfy and pain-free! If you want to wear heels, consider switching into them once you reach your office and have another pair to wear for the commute! That way you’ll get the best of both worlds!

Another important thing to consider when it comes to selecting shoes is the weather. New York experiences all four seasons to the maximum degree, so make sure you have shoes that will work for any weather scenario!

Pack The Essentials

I have always been, and probably always will be, one of those people who brings much more than they need with them everywhere they go. Just ask my family; my purse weighs a ton! That being said, I make sure to pack anything I might need with me on my internship days. I like to think that it is better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. You never know when you may need something!

A few of my internship commute essentials include an umbrella, hand sanitizer, chapstick, phone and laptop chargers, a book and a pack of tissues. One odd thing that I always carry around with me is travel-sized floss. You won’t realize you need it until you do!

Similar to finding a good pair of shoes, finding a good work bag is crucial. You want to keep your back and shoulders just as comfy as your feet. Find a style of bag that works best for you and fits everything you need! 

Bring Your Own Food

This tip may be my personal preference, but packing food for your day is very helpful. Unless you’ve been living under a rock, then you know that New York City is expensive. The excitement of discovering new restaurants and food stands is exciting, but realistically, your bank account is going to suffer. Especially if you have an unpaid internship, you don’t have room in your budget to afford pricey food. Invest in a cute and sturdy lunchbox to pack your meals! You probably have a Hofstra meal plan, so you might as well use it! This will save you the hassle and time spent on finding places to eat. After all, you are at your internship to learn and work hard, not to go on an NYC food tour. It can be okay to treat yourself to a nice meal now and then, but remember to always be concious of your bank account.

Safety Is Your Top Priority

No matter how comfortable you become with your internship route, you should always be looking out for yourself. New York City is an amazing place to be, but that doesn’t guarantee that bad things can’t happen. During all parts of your commute, be sure to stay cautious and aware of your surroundings. You want to enjoy your time at your internship, but not risk your safety in doing so. However, don’t let your fears stop you from making the most of your NYC internship experience. You are interning in one of the greatest cities in the world! Just remember to stay aware, use common sense and make smart choices!

Having an internship during your time at Hofstra can be a great opportunity to learn and grow in your area of study. Getting to intern in New York City can become one of the best experiences of your life. By using these commuting tips and tricks, you will be able to create the best internship experience you can have! Now go out there and be the hardworking boss you are!

Gif courtesy of giphy.com

Paige Strout is a senior journalism major and the Vice President of Hofstra University's Her Campus chapter. Since joining her freshman year, Paige has held the positions of Facebook, Instagram and Instagram Story Editor. She aspires to be an entertainment/fashion writer and hopes to one day become a Spice Girl.