Intern Diaries: How To Be A Standout Features Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

There’s always that one intern that seems head and shoulders above the rest. They’re always prepared, always ahead of schedule, and they always manage to look fabulous and confident. Here’s a secret: you can be that intern! Seriously, I’m not kidding. And it’s really not as hard as it seems. By doing a few key things you can amaze your boss and outshine your competition.

Arrive early.

Being there before your editor gives you a few minutes to organize your space and get settled before you start getting assignments. It also gives you a few minutes to check your emails and respond to any new messages before the day fully starts.

Read up.

Before you get to work find out the new stories in the industry. Read The New York Times, The New York Post (namely Page Six), and Women’s Wear Daily. That way if your editor comes to you with a question or research assignment you may already have some background info.

Know the magazine. 

A good intern will be familiar with the current issue of the magazine, but a great intern will be familiar with the current issues and back issues. Many magazines have a “6 Month’s Rule” where they don’t cover any topic they have covered in the last 6 months. You won’t be able to provide useable story ideas if you don’t know what topics have been covered.

Bring a snack.

You’re going to be hungry, and you’re going to be busy. If your stomach is growling it’s going to be hard to focus, so bring a quick and easy snack, like a granola bar or fruit, to give you an afternoon pick-me-up.

Check your email.

Most editors will communicate with you via email. Make sure to check your email frequently to stay up on tasks they need you to complete.

Always ask questions.

The best interns are confident in their work. The best way to be confident in your work is to know exactly what you’re doing. When you get an assignment make sure you understand it thoroughly. Bring a notebook to write down all the details, including the deadline!

Never do nothing.

If you have nothing to do, find something to do. Even if it’s a menial task, like organizing the supply closet, your supervisors will be impressed that you have taken the initiative to be productive.

Get feedback.

Everyone makes mistakes; your editor or supervisor doesn’t expect you to be perfect, but they do expect you to try your best and learn from your mistakes. The best way to improve is to get criticism. Email your editor to set up a time to meet, maybe grab lunch or coffee, and ask her how you’ve been doing and what you could do better. Obviously you won’t do this every week, but getting input a few weeks into your internship can only make you better!

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!