Intern Diaries: Asking For a Byline

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As interns, we do a lot of research. Sometimes we just do a quick fact check, but in other cases we can be the primary (and maybe only) person doing the research. Maybe you’ve even put together a sidebar or timeline or chart to accompany a story. Now here comes the issue: you’re putting in a lot of work, but you may not be getting proper recognition. No matter what we’re doing as interns, we still deserve to get credit.

And trust me, I feel for you. I’ve been in this position before, and asking for a byline is not fun, in fact it can actually be a bit scary. But don’t worry, it’s something that many fellow interns have had to deal with and there’s a proper way to do it.

First things first, look at back issues of the magazine and see when they normally give credit. Do timelines normally have bylines? How about charts? Find something similar to what you did and check it out. If people have gotten a byline in the past, then you should be getting one too.

After you’ve determined that a byline is appropriate, reach out to the editor in charge of the piece. Find a convenient time to talk to her, or if she’s really busy shoot her an email. Be polite but be straightforward. Say something like “I was wondering if I would be able to get a byline for this. I would really love it, and this piece would be a great addition to my clip file.”  Your editor will know exactly what you want, but you come across excited and genuine, not pushy.

Now it’s just a waiting game. Depending on when the piece is published you may have to wait a while to see your work in print. Even if the editor said you would get a byline, don’t be afraid to ask again closer to publication. For magazines they’re working months ahead, your editor may be so busy that it slips her mind to make note of your byline when she sends the finished piece to be put in the magazine.

Even if you don’t get a byline—it sucks, but it happens—you’ll still get to see your hard work published, and you’ve gained valuable experience. Just make sure to keep asking with every piece you do. If you really feel you’re having a problem with getting credit for your work, don’t be afraid to bring it up to your editor or your internship advisor. Just because you’re an intern, doesn’t mean they get to steak your ideas!

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!